Dads Birthday

Today was the biggest knife knut I knows birthday. Dad has always been a big slipjoint fan. So every knife I like has always been a fancy boat anchor or cheap looking pieces of crap or alot of things I can't print in family forum, but as much as he hates to admit it hes getting older and has arthritis in his hands so bad he can't easly open a slippie anymore.

So today I got him a plain jane Leek as a present when he unwrapped it he looked at me like I had lost my mind.The first thing out of his mouth was "I aint using one of those sissy pocket clip things, the next was you know I hate this kinda stuff why didnt you buy me a real knife" (he's getting a little crusty in his old age lol). Anyway after I showed him how to open the thing (or how it opens itself almost, and convinced him that it wasn't a switch- blade) and took the pocket clip off, danged if the old man didn't almost tear up for a second (yeah right lol). He did offer me a beer then and show everybody at the party his new toy.
Mom just called to tell me dad just packed up his old Case slippie that he has carried everyday that I can remember. Thanks Kershawfor helping me make a old mans day ( and mine too)

that's a great story, the leek is one of my favorites alongside the skyline. The skyline because it's a bit bigger and there is no assisted opening so it doesn't scare the crap out of people when i bust it out to open something. ;) i'm happy for you and your dad's newly found liking of the kershaw brand.

It's been a while ago, but someone wandered into the Kershaw sub asking for suggestions for a gentleman with arthritis. I recommended a SpeedSafe (don't remember the model), and he got one and gave it to said gentleman. Said gentleman was impressed with the SpeedSafe, and thankful for the gift of a knife he could open with ease.

AO isn't just for the young...

Just goes to show you can teach an old dog new tricks! :thumbup:

Thanks guys, just got off the phone with the old man he wants to go Kershaw shopping today lol. I got him hooked now to just reel him in lol. Not alot of places around here for that. I think I'll take him to SMKW it's just a hour and a half down the road lol

Thanks guys, just got off the phone with the old man he wants to go Kershaw shopping today lol. I got him hooked now to just reel him in lol. Not alot of places around here for that. I think I'll take him to SMKW it's just a hour and a half down the road lol

You're not that far from New Graham in Bluefield. :thumbup: Make sure you get there early enough to grab some chow at the lunch counter! :D

That should make a great trip and a great memory. Enjoy!

even though new graham is a 6 hour drive each way i think i am going to make it my new birthday tradition. and one of these days ill actually get some of you to come along :) remember last time, there was something in it for showing up :)

As i mentioned another time, i got my bother in law a shallot for his birthday. He has MS, and has been in heaven since.

It's been a while ago, but someone wandered into the Kershaw sub asking for suggestions for a gentleman with arthritis. I recommended a SpeedSafe (don't remember the model), and he got one and gave it to said gentleman. Said gentleman was impressed with the SpeedSafe, and thankful for the gift of a knife he could open with ease.

AO isn't just for the young...

Just goes to show you can teach an old dog new tricks! :thumbup:

Back