Damascus EDC, the start of a journey: Est. 2017 (w. Feb 2024 update).

I was pretty blown away with reading the re-etching service. So I researched it further to find any gotchas, and I guess they won’t do it for any discontinued blades. Something to think about. But still a great service

It’s weird. That info is way out of date. They no longer wax-coat the Damascus, and all of their standard Damascus offerings are fully stainless, with no high carbon.

Looks like a cut-and-paste error from a 1995 catalogue or something.
Blog posts get out of date fast. I’ll see if something is newer

FYI I also just bought a Damascus Sebenza as a direct result of this thread. She's gonna be a user. Thanks for sharing this info and someone give this man a raise !
That’s awesome. When you get it post some pics in the thread and feel free to contribute as it gets worn in! It would be nice to have other’s experiences shared here as well.

Be forewarned!! That first scratch hurts like hell! Then it’s all gravy.

That’s awesome. When you get it post some pics in the thread and feel free to contribute as it gets worn in! It would be nice to have other’s experiences shared here as well.

Be forewarned!! That first scratch hurts like hell! Then it’s all gravy.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Here it is! I've already opened a few boxes with it 🙃

lWNhPZ1.jpg

This thread inspired me to put some damascus to use. The first scratch and some initial fading of the etch have been achieved. Now to collect more scratches...
xADKDeQl.jpg

oOwVfGel.jpg
I like to think of the first scratch as encouragement. A scratchless knife looks great, but once you get the first one, you gotta go for the full look.

I gotta say, I am surprised and inspired by the beautiful knives being put to use here. Makes my contribution seem almost second rate with my lowly PJ.

However, as much as some part of me thinks I’m encouraging regrettable behaviour, my true feelings are happiness for the knives and the owners that these extremely beautiful and functional objects
are getting to exist as both tools, and art objects, all at once.

When you think about it, that’s pretty awesome. These CRKs are very beautiful, but at the same time they are fully functional tools for the distinguished user.

I present this question: If these gorgeous Sebenzas were never intended by CRK to be anything more than pocket jewelry or safe queens……..why even bother heat treating the steel? Clearly CRK knows that when push comes to shove these are knives meant to cut stuff, and proper heat treat is required, regardless of the beauty of the Damascus pattern.

That’s the biggest surprise to me with my own CN Raindrop user. Beauty and ‘conversation piece’ features aside, it’s a great friggen knife. No BS. A hard working companion that has never let me down.

I gotta say, I am surprised and inspired by the beautiful knives being put to use here. Makes my contribution seem almost second rate with my lowly PJ.

However, as much as some part of me thinks I’m encouraging regrettable behaviour, my true feelings are happiness for the knives and the owners that these extremely beautiful and functional objects
are getting to exist as both tools, and art objects, all at once.

When you think about it, that’s pretty awesome. These CRKs are very beautiful, but at the same time they are fully functional tools for the distinguished user.

I present this question: If these gorgeous Sebenzas were never intended by CRK to be anything more than pocket jewelry or safe queens……..why even bother heat treating the steel? Clearly CRK knows that when push comes to shove these are knives meant to cut stuff, and proper heat treat is required, regardless of the beauty of the Damascus pattern.

That’s the biggest surprise to me with my own CN Raindrop user. Beauty and ‘conversation piece’ features aside, it’s a great friggen knife. No BS. A hard working companion that has never let me down.

The only regrettable behavior is the fact that so many of these gorgeous knives sit around unused. Until I read this thread, I had always incorrectly assumed these damascus blades devolved into sad grey blobs after some use. Because of this, I generally avoided buying and using damascus. You have helped to shed light on this fallacy, and I thank you for this.

Regarding CRK’s intentions, outside of the occasional special show pieces they put out here and there, I have to assume they want their knives used and used well. I have been collecting various styles of custom knives for years, and a common theme among makers is that, barring the occasional fancy collection pieces, they really, truly just want their knives to be used.

As a company founded by a custom knife maker, I cannot imagine CRK sees it any differently. They are simply kind enough to oblige those of us that like some bling to our user knives.

Anyway, you da real MVP here and have done this forum a great service. Many thanks to you, my friend.

Last edited:
Back