1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 17 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KaBar Becker BK 15 Mini Camp!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK 15, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Apil 27; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Damascus + Oosik Fighter

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by J.Marc, Jul 22, 2018.

1. J.Marc

J.Marc

Mar 19, 2017
    I have never worked with oosik until now, and I can honestly say now that I am a fan. I finished this blade the other day and am right now working on a sheath for it. After the sheath, I'll probably post it up in the Knifemaker's For Sale thread. The blade has an 8" cutting edge, forged from damascus, with a deep hollow grind and a matching damascus guard, ferrule, and pommel. The silver piece in the ferrule is 304 stainless. The real conversation piece is the handle, a nice, dense, relatively pith-free cut of fossil walrus oosik, which is, in case you don't know, a fossilized walrus penis... With that said, I think it is definitely one of the cooler materials I've ever worked with. It's super dense, super hard, and polished beautifully. I thought I'd show case it a little before I get the sheath done.

Thanks for Looking. Comments always welcomed.

IMG_1006.jpg IMG_1009.jpg IMG_1010.jpg IMG_1003.jpg

Cryptyc and d762nato like this.