Damascus steel vs. BG-42: HRC, cutting performance & toughness ?

Anne/Chris,

Would be very interested in the CRK experiences with the damascus steels you offer on Sebenza's.

What attainable working hardness do you get out of the damascus you offer? How does edge holding and toughness compare with BG-42? (objective, empirical data would be great if you have it...but I'll take subjective commentary too
wink.gif
)

1. How does properly heat treated Thomas stainless compare with BG-42?
2. How does Thomas carbon damascus compare with BG-42?
3. Have you experimented w/ Mike Norris' regular 304/AEB-L/D2 damascus?
4. Have you experimented with Norris' San Mai SS with 440V or 420V core?
5. Have you experimented with Damasteel?

Thanks very much.

------------------
rdangerer@home.com

[This message has been edited by rdangerer (edited 05-11-2001).]

It would be especially interesting to hear about CRK's opinion of using Damasteel, as one of the components in this stainless damascus steel is RWL 34 which is, like BG 42 , a kind of ATS 34 with some vanadium added. Just for the information: the other component is PMC 27, which is the powdersteel version of swedish 12C27. This one is maybe the best stainless steel for large series professional kitchen knives and razor blades on the market with only about 0.6 % C but a remarkable edge holding if treated right.

Achim

[This message has been edited by AchimW (edited 05-15-2001).]

I am sorry that I am not going to "blind you with science"!! The opinions that Chris has about Damascus of all kinds is opinion and is not backed with any kind of scientific testing, records keeping or comparison figures.

For an all-round, working knife, BG42 is, at the moment, the best choice. There are other materials that individually, have greater toughness, or edge retention, or stain resitance, or are more easily obtainable or easier to machine, but, in Chris' opinion, BG42 is the best in all of these factors.

Damascus steel is lovely to look at, can be made into some phenomenal knives. We use it willingly on our high end knives with spectacular results. However, we do not promote these as performance knives.

It is not feasible to hardness test Damascus because you will get different readings on the different layers.

As a general rule, stainless does not etch and contrast as well as the 1095/nickel that we use. Not too long ago, we got some of Devin Thomas' stainless but have not made it up yet, so can't comment.

We have not experimented with any of Mike Norris' material. Chris has used Damasteel on a custom knife but has not made Sebenza blades from it.

I hope commentary will suffice where statistics are not available!
smile.gif

Anne

Back