Danger! Cracked Ice!!

Another Serpentine Jack by Richards.

wzpswNq.jpg

(Can anyone make out the name on the tang stamp?)
Not me and my magnifiers. šŸ˜² :mad:
Looks like it starts "CAUT", maybe? And is there an ampersand "&" third (or second) character from the right end of the name? What's the image under the name, a crouching or resting lion?

- GT

Impressive bunch of cracked ice examples, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
Is the old cracked ice from Richards and Hammer Brand a type of celluloid? If so, have you ever had any of yours outgas?
I'm assuming some of the more recent versions like your Chinese Imperial or Rough Rider sowbelly are actually acrylic.

- GT

Impressive bunch of cracked ice examples, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
Is the old cracked ice from Richards and Hammer Brand a type of celluloid? If so, have you ever had any of yours outgas?
I'm assuming some of the more recent versions like your Chinese Imperial or Rough Rider sowbelly are actually acrylic.

- GT
Thanks Gary :) The bolsters, and most of the covers are mainly one piece of sheet steel, with a very thin layer of celluloid, a patented process, for which companies like Richards and Imperial paid the patent holders, Elosi (Lohr & Stiehl) in Germany. It sometimes darkens a little with age, but I've never had a serious problem, and I have a lot of such knives. Yes, RR and Imperial use acrylic :thumbsup:
Nowill & sons. Thanks, Jack Black Jack Black
175Jfb3.jpg

Imperial in cell wrap:
PzoKruK.jpg

PYqeipA.jpg

Here's a Buck USA in lovely mother-of-toilet-seat:
8TwSVZP.jpg

Robison in formica?
gM614uW.jpg
Nice Rachel, some interesting knives there :cool: :thumbsup:

These key-chain knives were made by so many Sheffield firms, more usually with pain steel handles, that they became known as one of the Sheffield 'Town Patterns'. They have a small Coping blade, and a bottle-opener. Still made in Sheffield.

9v7L2ub.jpg

Souvenir /Advertising knife from Solingen.
No clue what cruise ship(?) it was for.
View attachment 1633443
(Can anyone make out the name on the tang stamp?)
View attachment 1633451

Not me and my magnifiers. šŸ˜² :mad:
Looks like it starts "CAUT", maybe? And is there an ampersand "&" third (or second) character from the right end of the name? What's the image under the name, a crouching or resting lion?

- GT
This has been bugging me all day...I had to zoom in and google a little bit:

C. Lutters & Cie. I think made in Solingen by Loewen Messer.

Last edited:
Back