Dan's YCS Project

I received my YCS this morning and the best way to describe it is a big impressive "WOW". Unfortunately, no pics are available at this time. The non-habaki kukri is purpleheart handled with antler inserts and the accessories are antler handled. The size of all the handles is best described as "very beefy". Fit and finish is excellent. Thank you Dan for spear heading this project which in my opinion is a big success. (would the kamis please tell us the correct uses of a blunt three sided awl?)
Roger

Yeah I was too late for the original YCS's and luckily got in on these just after I was unbanned and I gotta take my hat off to Dan.

I have said it before- but Dan's willingness to do stuff for other folks and put himself out to teach other people stuff earns him the title of "Bodhisattava of the Blade" :D

"" A bodhisattva wishes to help all beings attain nirvana. He must therefore refuse to enter nirvana himself, as he cannot apparently render any services to the living beings of the worlds after his own nirvana. He thus finds himself in the rather illogical position of pointing the way to nirvana for other beings, while he himself stays in this world of suffering in order to do good to all creatures. This is his great sacrifice for others. He has taken the great Vow: "I shall not enter into final nirvana before all beings have been liberated." He does not realize the highest liberation for himself, as he cannot abandon other beings to their fate. He has said: "I must lead all beings to liberation. I will stay here till the end, even for the sake of one living soul."

thanks for the report, ecll:) Hopefully, mine will arrive tomorrow or monday. Then, i'll be able to take it out to my mother's place and give a good workout on all those downed trees. i'll TRY to take some pics if someone will be so kind as to post them up for me. Since so many guys here are waiting for theirs to come at spec with the right kind of exotic wood, the least i can do is test my YCS out for them. So, weather permitting i should have a review ready by the 4th...hopefully with pics;)

jake

ecll said:
(would the kamis please tell us the correct uses of a blunt three sided awl?)

Roger
The kamis are vey literal in their renditions; the point on the model broke off and the kamis have been making the awl with blunt points ever since.:rolleyes:
It's supposed to taper down to a point for pokeing holes in different materials, mainly cloth or tarpaulin. The idea is that the three cornered awl will make a hole in cloth or a tarpaulin that won't tear or rip like a hole made with a regular knife blade will.:)

Jim - I am at a loss for words.................and in debt for your enormous kindness.

ecll - you are indeed welcome. Nice touch on the antler K/C.....had no idea. Good to hear.

Despite all the waiting, cajoling, flak-eating, etc.....I am still very excited about this project and eager to see the next batch come in. It is dear to my heart - there will be no "loss of love" with this one. ;)

Did I mention that there are 2 extra checkerboard YCS (found deep in the box)?
;)

first come, first serve. !:eek:

(you MUST email me first about it - include full name and address)

Hi Guys
My YCS will take a few days to wend its way to New Zealand, but I wish to also offer my thanks to Dan for his determination to get this done. I hope other interesting projects follow. Maybe that sabre that popped up a little while ago???????
Thanks again
Phil Melhop :) :) :)

ARGH!!! What a tale of woe. Since I moved to a new house, any packages that are held for me are at a new post office. In my old apartment, I was literally next door to the PO, and it was a large one open lots of hours, so it was easy to go pick up those triangular boxes of sunshine. At the new place, the PO is smaller and is only open 8:30-5, weekdays only! How is a working man supposed to get there? So far I have been lucky with the packages arriving while I was in the house, including the very first piece of mail we received at the new place (man, did that take some explaining).

But luck no more. I have a slip in my hand, and YCS (and probably Sarge too) waiting for me at the PO, and no way to pick up until Wednesday at the earliest. I think I might be late to work one of these days.

To add insult to injury, the letter carrier filled in "Package can be picked up after 9am on 9/25"... but the damn PO isn't open 9/25!

Oh well, thanks to Dan for setting this all up, and Uncle Bill, Yangdu and the Nepal crew giving their usual excellent service. :cool:

Back