dark knives###

how is powder coating done,is there any books or artices on it...would love to learn how to darken the blades or steel.please let me know,any info would be great,, royboy

For black, I think brownells makes some that bakes on at low tempereatures ( 300 degrees ?) .
I don't think you can get the teflon stuff benchmade uses anywhere.
But if your willing to send the blade away to someone, I think theres a few outfits that can do either TiNI coating or boron carbide coating for you.
There was a post in general where someone sent a sebenza somewhere and had it boron carbide coated. It looked sweet :cool: and is supposed to be a super tough finish.
Theres also some cold bluing compounds that can be used for carbon steel blades. They won't offer much resistance to corrosion compared to the other types of coatings.

Powder coating is not used for blades.First it is to thick a coating and the curing heat from the oven would definately be detrimental to the blade.Blueing and other coatings are much thinner and do not require the curing heat.Dave

Everything I have ever read says that the coatings do not hold up. Period.

If I were going to try something different I would consider Parkerizing.

There are MANY folks here, and maybe some have had decent luck with coatings.

Try whatever appeals to you and then let us know how it worked.

Good grinding!

Dave

Parkerizing is an easy finish to do on carbon steel, it won't work at all on stainless. You just heat the parkerizing solution to 180 - 190 degrees (in a stainless container, old pans work fine) insert clean, abrasive blasted, and grease free steel, wait 10-15 minutes and you're done! It holds a nice coat of oil against the blade and is very durable. Probably not the most attactive finish though and it does add a little thickness to the blade, not much though. I recently used it on my first folder blade, mostly because I used O1 for the blade and it was the easiest way to protect the blade for me to do (I already had the solution).

You can order the solution from Brownell's, or look in Shotgun News, lots of people sell it.

Patrick

PS - Do not do this indoors! Do not breath the fumes! Wear Gloves! Also, Harbor Freight sell a powder coat gun and a limited selection of coating colors, pretty cheap too.

For a small quantity of work try contacting a powder coater. Look in your local yellow pages under headings such as "coatings" or ask some of the sheet metal fabrication shops. Black would be one of the more common colors that they would be running batches of. I got 3 pieces of aluminum sheet 1.2m x 0.5m coated, both sides for the equivalent of $10 USD by including it with a shipment of parts from work. I also got a set of four wheel rims sandblasted and coated for $200 Canadian several years ago. Hope this helps.

Phil

sounds like a good show to watch,,or use on bin porking.really guys this was some good info you gave me,,thanks..dcknives good one about the powder coating,would be thick.thanks all of you.I have wanted to post a pic of my own on this forum.dont have the equitment to do so,if i sent a pic to someone,would you post it for me.thanks royboy

Back