"Darkening" 1095

I'm looking for suggestions on darkenning or "antiquing" 1095 steel. I am thinking of trying to get it to danken uniformly rather then messily over time.

Any suggestions?

Try briefly dunking it in ferric chloride solution. This makes a really nice "old tool" finish on carbon tools steels. Once you've dunked it a bit, use some chrome polish to polish the finish back a bit.

Be careful not to get the ferric chloride on your chlothes or else the stain will be there forever...

------------------
www.wilkins-knives.com

I've had limited success with giving blades an "Antique" look using brass oxide. It puts a layer of oxidization on steel that is similar to blueing. It isn't very uniform on steel, though. I did use it on 1095 once, though. A rather cloudy, black coating that looked pretty good on the piece. It was the shackle of a padlock.

------------------
Oz

"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."
- Henry J. Kaiser

I was rather satisfied using the following solution on 1095:
8 fl. oz water/8 fl.oz denaturated alcohol/2 0z. ferric chloride/2 fl.oz.hydrochloric acid
Warm the solution (not in the kitchen, it stinks and the fumes may damage your lungs) and apply to the blade with a soft cloth or brush until the desired color is obtained (from light gray to balck). Then dry and finish on a clean buffer with little wax.
Hope this helps.
Claude

Back