Darrel Ralph AXD

I'm going to be ordering a Darrel Ralph AXD 5.5.
Would appreciate any comments on the AXD series of knives
by Darrel Ralph.

Thanks!

Well, I have to say the AXD's are an excellent design. Especially the 5.5". I have a 5.5" bowie with carved frame. Excellent ergos, excellent grip quality with the pattern carved into the handle. Quality of fit and finish is excellent as well. This is an excellent progression of the Aftermath design. I know you will be very pleased with this knife!

What variation are getting?

Yes I'm planning on getting it with SAO (spring assisted opening) along with
the AXD 4" SF finish (DLC coating).
Thanks for your opinions! :)

That sounds like an awesome knife. I know you will be happy. Darrell makes a great knife and is a pleasure to deal with.
Larry

I picked up an AXD with the 3D G10 insert and Robo-Power opening at last month's NYCKS. It's the 3.9" blade, satin finished version. It's an impressive knife in the true Darrel Ralph style.

The assisted opening is very fast and positive and overall fit and finish is in the typical Darrel Ralph tradition--superb. :cool:

I havn't handled the 5.5" version and that size would be illegal in NYC, so the smaller blade works fine for me.

BTW, mine is the tanto blade model.

Best of luck with your AXD. :)

Those waits are tough--good luck. Darrel is a great guy. BTW, welcome to the Forums. :)

manapat said:
Thanks!
This is my first custom knife. Now I just have to wait!

Thanks!

The worst part is the wait. You picked a great knife for your first custom. Your gonna love it. Darrell makes awesome knives.
Larry

I handled a 3.9'' model at the NY show and was very impressed. That knife was really comfortable to hold.

Thanks for all the replys.
I was really nervous about getting a $800 + knife, but after reading
everyones thoughts I'm really excited.
Just out of curiosity what is the average wait for his knives?

Thanks!

I waited abot 4mo. to get mine.But you never know. It's just one of the things you have to deal with when you buy from custom makers.
Larry

Darrel does his orders in batches. If you order something from the current batch, you could get your knife in a week or so. If it's not a current batch, you are generally looking 4-6 months. Sometimes a lot less, sometimes a little longer.

I have a custom Maxx II(mechanics same as the AXD) in the 3.9 S30V speartpoint blade with Robo-Assist that I had bought from Larry B.(yes who is also posting on this thread), and it immediately became my EDC.
Anyway on Thanksgiving Day I was opening it, and it failed about half way open. I was sick to say the least. I waited til after the holiday weekend, and called Darrel on the phone, and he said send it in, and he'd fixer up. I also have 2 Apogee's that I have had since new, and told him I wanted some upgrades, and the knives reanodized if possible, and would like to send them in along with the Maxx. He send them, and he would take care of it.
Got an e-mail from him today(Thursday), and he said they were done, and shipped out yesterday.
With all the projects he has going, and he still has the time for repairs, and faster than about any knifemakers has been in returning a knife to me after repair.
He definently goes that extra mile, and wonder sometimes when he sleeps :D
Just had to step in here, and praise Darrel for what he did for me besides making great knives.
Just my .02 cents

Larry

Glad to hear that your knives are on the way back to you Larry.Darrell's awesome knives are only exceeded by his great customer service.
Larry

Back