Darrin Sanders ZTuff Chopper and 8670 Camp Knife

Petunia D. Feeble

I once waved at Stevie Wonder…
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Made a little table top review for these two knives as part of Darrin's passaround. Thought I'd post it here for consumption as well.

In truth, I think the ZTuff might actually be a bit closer to S7, but like a lot of steel comparisons, in the real world it's quite difficult to notice the difference. 3v, S7, ZTuff, ZWear, whatever. They're all better than what my granddad had and he got by just fine.

Thanks for the video. Never heard of Ztuff before sounds quite interesting.

In truth, I think the ZTuff might actually be a bit closer to S7, but like a lot of steel comparisons, in the real world it's quite difficult to notice the difference. 3v, S7, ZTuff, ZWear, whatever. They're all better than what my granddad had and he got by just fine.

Closer to S7 than? and in what way? Ztuff sounds like interesting stuff for sure. Seems to me like it should behave closer to 3V though.

Closer to S7 than? and in what way? Ztuff sounds like interesting stuff for sure. Seems to me like it should behave closer to 3V though.
You mean you didn't watch my video? I'm heartbroken.

Closer to s7 than 3v. I've had 3v chip on my before, I've never had s7 chip though and I couldn't get that ztuff to chip either. Six of one, half dozen of another. Great steel for a chopper.

You mean you didn't watch my video? I'm heartbroken.

Closer to s7 than 3v. I've had 3v chip on my before, I've never had s7 chip though and I couldn't get that ztuff to chip either. Six of one, half dozen of another. Great steel for a chopper.

Lol, gotcha. Potentially the lower amount of carbon might help in that. I agree on the 3V. But I think a lot of that has to do with heat treat also. Carothers 3V blade did not chip on me when I hammered it into 3/8" thick cement nails. It dented.

Back