Dating Western L66

Guard stamped model numbers started in 1967 to 1968, depending on the model.

The W49 Bowie has known purchases in November 1967 with a guard stamp.

Guard stamping of the model #s continued until 1972.

Guard stamping of the model #s ceased in 1977 when date code stamping began.

snip.....
The L66 always had a 1095 carbon steel blade, at least before they were bought By Coleman.
I don't know if Coleman or Camillus used stainless blade (if either did, it was most likely 440A), or if Camillus went back to carbon steel when they bought Western, if Coleman did use a stainless blade, or if Camillus stuck with the stainless, if that is what was being used when they acquired the company, and ran out of the Coleman produced parts.

It as to be a post "1953" to 1976 tang stamp. If memory serves, the L66 didn't come out until between 1959 and 1961, from what I remember of the research I did on mine a few years ago.

The 66 pattern first appeared in 1941 as the xL66 and xW66. No one knows what the "x" stood for, but otherwise the model numbers still apply - L for stacked leather and W for wood, in this case cocobolo.

No known sales of the 66 pattern during WW2, although anything could have happened on small scales local to Boulder.

The 66 returned some time after the war. The earliest ad for an L66 I have seen is from 1949. They could have been made in 1947-1948, but I haven't found an ad for them yet.

The W66 is first obvious in the 1959 catalog. They "could" have been produced earlier, but I have no advertisement proof.

The Black Beauty F66 is in an ad from 1956. It is possible that the F66 and other Fxx knives were made in 1955, but I have not found any ads to support that possibility. The last time the F66 is mentioned in a catalog is 1970. A 1975 brochure shows only the F48B still going strong.

The last Western-Coleman L66 I have seen is 1988, as I have an "L" date coded L66. Camillus made them all the way up to 2006, the last year they made knives before filing for bankruptcy in 2007.

All 66 pattern knives made by Western and Coleman-Western were of 1095 steel. After about 1993 or 1994, all Camillus-Western fixed blades were being made with "high carbon stainless steel". They used 420J, IIRC.

The 66 pattern first appeared in 1941 as the xL66 and xW66. No one knows what the "x" stood for, but otherwise the model numbers still apply - L for stacked leather and W for wood, in this case cocobolo.

No known sales of the 66 pattern during WW2, although anything could have happened on small scales local to Boulder.

The 66 returned some time after the war. The earliest ad for an L66 I have seen is from 1949. They could have been made in 1947-1948, but I haven't found an ad for them yet.

The W66 is first obvious in the 1959 catalog. They "could" have been produced earlier, but I have no advertisement proof.

The Black Beauty F66 is in an ad from 1956. It is possible that the F66 and other Fxx knives were made in 1955, but I have not found any ads to support that possibility. The last time the F66 is mentioned in a catalog is 1970. A 1975 brochure shows only the F48B still going strong.

The last Western-Coleman L66 I have seen is 1988, as I have an "L" date coded L66. Camillus made them all the way up to 2006, the last year they made knives before filing for bankruptcy in 2007.

All 66 pattern knives made by Western and Coleman-Western were of 1095 steel. After about 1993 or 1994, all Camillus-Western fixed blades were being made with "high carbon stainless steel". They used 420J, IIRC.
Thank you. :)
I stand corrected. :)

The 66 pattern has a long, convoluted history.

Many folks don't realize that when Western added date codes in 1977, it also changed the construction of the L66. It was manufactured like the 1958 K5. The pommel was single pinned and the handle no longer sported an exposed bifurcated tang. The leather disks had a slot like "traditional" stacked leather handles, not "H" shaped disks. Other models continued the bufurcated

The pommel was single pinned and the handle no longer sported an exposed bifurcated tang.
I have one of those. Interesting choice, if it's true that the point of the fork-tail H-washer construction was to prevent rust on the tang from bursting the washers.
PIGwNRu.jpg

Western/ USA , no model stamp.
tAlKUDm.jpg

Last edited:
Since this topic is Dating a Western L66, I figured I'd tag along. I found my L66 when cleaning out my dad's house last year. He wasn't a hunter or fisher - not a knife guy really, so I don't know where he picked this up, or if it was possibly my grandfathers. Judging from other clues on this forum, I'm guessing this one was made between 67 and 72, due to where the model is stamped on the brass guard. "Western Boulder Colo. USA" is stamped on the blade. The blade looks like it has never been abused, or sharpened, for that matter. Also, it looks like someone used varnish on the whole knife, including the blade.

Question, is my dating accurate? Also, I would like to clean it up and use it. I was thinking of using a buffing wheel on my bench grinder and try to get the varnish off, then melt beeswax on the leather handle. Is this an adequate treatment, or do I need to sand the leather to get the varnish off first? Also, there is rust on the tang, which doesn't appear to have affected the leather. Whats the best way of removing the rust without disassembling the handle?
50197973067_7566a92d27_k.jpg
50197704666_fa5fe2c7b3_z.jpg

My Western 66, Christmas gift from my folks in 1967 or 1968. The sheath is a replacement, originally it had a black pancake sheath with the oak leaf and acorn design - but that was lost many years ago. The blade on this one also had a factory applied coating or varnish on it that has worn off over time. I don’t remember a varnish being applied over the aluminum handle. I still pull it out to clean a deer every few years for old times sake. I have owned this knife longer than any other knife I own. OH
Western_L66_Black_Beauty_ca_1966.jpg

Last edited:
J JoeScouter , I remember getting my BSA Western. The instructions mentioned that the blade was lacquered to prevent rusting, and you could expect the lacquer to wear off with use. the handle was lacquered too, because until the lacquer wears off the handle, there's no point trying to oil or wax the leather.
EsRjD1n.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, good to know. Thanks for sharing that the coating on the blade is original. I won't attempt to buff that off then! Probably just try to gently remove rust from the tang and treat the leather. I'm sure other scouters will identify this knife. That's a really nice knife you have there with the BSA emblem stamped on it. I thought maybe my dad got this when he was a WEBELOS scout, but that would have been in the early 50's and I'm thinking this is a late 60's version.

Hi everyone! I'm a new member and hoping you all could help me. I have a Western L66 that I'm trying to figure out the date of. I've read thru these posts but still can't pinpoint it lol (From what I've read I'm assuming 1967-1972 but wondering if a way to narrow it down more). On lower blade it is stamped:
Western
Boulder Colo
USA
and on hilt/guard it is stamped L66. If it helps, the tang is exposed on top & bottom of handle (I think i read somewhere in here that some were fully covered in the leather "discs" and it changed at some point around 1977? ) I appreciate anyone's time. And love seeing all the pics of such awesome knives!!
Ps.. I'm guessing it won't let me upload photos cuz I'm not a paid subscriber.

Last edited:
Hi Folks - Another new member here! I've read through many of the forums and all of the posts here. Thanks for all you do!

WOW! It seems this is the place for those wanting to know about Western Knives. I recently came across a Western Knife I am trying to date (like
many others here). It has

WESTERN

Boulder COLO.

stamped on one side of the blade and

PAT. NO.

stamped on the other (the last digit might be a 9). There are no other markings on the knife. The sheath is stamped "WESTERN" right where the knife enters the sheath.

51009060658_0918d52c47_c.jpg
51009868877_bb7d24708f_h.jpg
51009767431_dd9c173acd_h.jpg

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

The patent no. tang stamp dates from 1935-1950. Looks like a model 36, if it's between 9¾ and 10 inches OAL. I have one that is Craftsman branded, but made by Western.

5QW52Pu.jpg

I just found this L66 knife and was trying to date it because the box didn't have a date in it. when i found this forum. Look like it maybe a 60's or 70's model. Price tag says $7.97.

Pictures of the tang stamps or any other stampings or markings on the blade or guard will get you the best dating accuracy.

Late to the party and new to the forum. My question isn't about dating since that's been answered here and in my own research.

My question is to discuss blade shapes and best uses. I have found other western knives with a straighter, thinner blade. The L66 reminds me more of my old trusty Buck 110 blade. Would someone be willing to chime in (or have me start a new thread...or...direct me to a thread) regarding blade shape/usage. Thanks.

From somewhere on Colorado's Continental Divide...

fotomatt

Back