Daughter's car kit recommendation...

IMO there is a time issue here. Broken down at night would you want your daughter struggling with finding a leak in a tire (which can allude even a good mechanic depending on where it is), struggling with getting the plug in (which can be a pain in the ass depending on how flat the tire is), then sitting there while a tiny portable battery powered compressor fills the tire (if you have never used one you don't realize how long it can take)...or squirt fix-a-flat in the tire and be on her way home or to a service station where they can help?

I have one of those air compressor and it does one hell of a job. they all laugh at me but when my buddy tire was flat all of the way they came to me and it took 5 minutes to pump it up. I dont know how many times it has help me out.

Thanks all...the kit is getting close to completion (adding the TP...it's just a good necessity:D).

I have one of those air compressor and it does one hell of a job. they all laugh at me but when my buddy tire was flat all of the way they came to me and it took 5 minutes to pump it up. I dont know how many times it has help me out.

My wife has one and I actually use it more than her...I don't have a compressor (need to get one), but it's helped with my riding lawnmower tire and wheel barrel tire that were both flat; very fast, simple and easy to use.

ROCK6

I’m reluctant to put much in the way of tools in her car as she most likely wouldn’t use them and me or her father would fix something if needed anyways since she’s restricted at driving only between our place and his. I was thinking about just adding a pair of vice grips, adjustable pliers and assorted screwdrivers. If somebody else stopped to help, at least the tools would be there to remove a battery or tighten a loose hose…??? I was also thinking of getting one of those rechargeable jumpers/compressors?

I'd say the tools you should absolutely have in your trunk are vise grips, an adjustable wrench, a couple of screwdrivers, long nose pliers, and a socket wrench set.

I'd say the tools you should absolutely have in your trunk are vise grips, an adjustable wrench, a couple of screwdrivers, long nose pliers, and a socket wrench set.

I still like the classic answer from the VW Bible:

keep a full set of tools int he sizes you need for your car. YOU may not be able to use them all, but the vo-tech jock in the Mustang who pulls over to help you might.

I might also suggest a spare head lamp and tail light bulbs if they are fairly straightforeward to replace, some are impossible to do yourself. Cops will pull you over for a headlight out in a heartbeat and they like to give whopping tickets for it so there's always a chance that you'll catch it before they do and avoid that crap.

I know it was mentioned twice but not on your list. Gloves. Warm, work, or both.

And since I have kids, I'll recommend paper towels, wet wipes, rags, etc. You never know when she might want to clean up a mess or wipe something down.

Thanks all...the kit is getting close to completion (adding the TP...it's just a good necessity:D).

I just read the whole thread, and something I didn't see mentioned was how all of the items would be stored. If you're at or near completion, would you mind taking some pics of how everything is packed? If not, I'd be interested in what bag(s?) you're using.

Edit: I just saw the medium Alice bag mentioned. I'd still like to see what this all looks like fully assembled.

Last edited:
I just read the whole thread, and something I didn't see mentioned was how all of the items would be stored. If you're at or near completion, would you mind taking some pics of how everything is packed? If not, I'd be interested in what bag(s?) you're using.

Will do. I have an old Alice pack and a rubber bin. My wife has an old bag that holds a few tools, jumper cables and tow strap. My only issue is that when I get the full sized spare in, I don't expect much room.

ROCK6

Back