Dave Baker designed products for Cold Steel...

My having noticed other threads concerning designs that had been done for Cold Steel by Mr. Demko and Mr. Wallace... I decided to also put one up for Mr. Dave Baker.

My understanding is that one of his contributions to Cold Steel was that he was the man that made the aluminum practice weapons that Lynn Thompson and his crew practiced and trained with.

Anyhow, I will start this recognition thread of Dave Baker with the following photos.

The first is a picture I found of the man himself.

The second is a picture of the prototype he made for the Cold Steel Polish Saber.

The third being my own standard production specimen of the Cold Steel Polish Saber.

As most of you already know, the contract to make the Polish Saber for Cold Steel was handed to a firm in India, which is widely believed to be 'Windlass Steelcrafts'. The method of construction for this sword's blade in India is by hand hammer forging on an anvil.

Last edited:
Wonderful. Cold Steel never ceases to surprise me.

5fxz9aqu9c151.jpg

But this work of art requires bigger pics...

EDIT:

The man is also impressive! I wish he was my third grandfather.

Right now I'm researching his work and I'm amazed. I hope to see many contributions to this thread.

Last edited:
I would guess that Dave Baker is likely the most famous of all the folks that have worked for Cold Steel.
That, of course, would be because of Dave Baker's involvement with the 'Forged in Fire' show.

True, but the show had a far reaching audience, and so I would say Dave Baker wound up getting known, (at least his face), a bit more. Such shows tend to do such things 😊
I agree with your post, but until you mentioned it, I had no clue Dave Baker was associated with CS. Maybe that means I'm not a true fan ;)
Can you imagine if LCT was a judge in FIF? That would have been great, although he would have been viewed as too polarizing by the producers.

I just learned about Dave Baker the other day and my first thought was "GSM needs to hire someone like him to source ideas for new historical weapons".
Looks like Lynn really was on the top of his game.
If GSM could just hire Dave as regular designer and ensure swords are crafted to his requirements I'm sure it would work wonders to reassure people of the new public image of Cold Steel.

I just learned about Dave Baker the other day and my first thought was "GSM needs to hire someone like him to source ideas for new historical weapons".
Looks like Lynn really was on the top of his game.
If GSM could just hire Dave as regular designer and ensure swords are crafted to his requirements I'm sure it would work wonders to reassure people of the new public image of Cold Steel.
The Forged in Fire show likely pays Dave Baker quite a sum, and that uptick in fame that the show has given him, also likely raises the cost to obtain his services.
It would cost GSM a bit more than having Stickman or JimiSlash on the payroll 😉

Very interesting thread, thanks for the Dave Baker heads up. My wife and I have watched Forged in Fire together for a few years now.

I have never got to try anything like those. The largest Cold Steel I have is the Marauder and Counter Point XL.

Cold Steel Man at Arms Messer:

"Designed by Luke LaFontaine and Dave Baker, Cold Steels new one-handed Messer is a sword that just has to be held to be appreciated! This modern interpretation of the historical German Langes Messer (or Long Knife) is beautifully balanced and a joy to use. Thinner and lighter than many of our current offerings, it handles almost like a giant Bowie Knife! Its clip-point style blade is fully sharpened on the primary edge, with an un-sharpened false edge terminating in a sturdy upswept point. The Messers stylish and functional cross-guard, knuckle bow and pronounced shell-shaped Nagel are also blued to match the blade and enhance the rich brown of the rosewood handle scales. Complete with a black leather scabbard with blued fittings, this beautiful new addition to our Man at Arms series has already become a firm favorite with our crew, and were sure it will be a popular addition to your collection!"

Cold Steel Man at Arms Polish Mace:

"Inspired by historical examples, and modelled after a custom weapon by Bladesmith Dave Baker, our Polish Mace is a masterclass of minimalist design. Unlike highly decorated "Bulawa" or ceremonial weapons, these simple utilitarian Maces were often plain and unadorned, and tucked into a sash or belt at the waist, ready to be quickly snatched and brought into play as a last-ditch tool for personal-defense. Quickly grabbed with either hand, the wielder could use this stout steel Mace to thrust and jab at speed, or swing it to land a heavier (and more devastating) percussive blow. Small, and surprisingly lightweight, the Polish Mace has a thickly walled hollow handle and a ridged steel bulb shaped head, with a polished brass finial on the crown. Easily customized, modified or wrapped for historical reenactment, this practical Mace is a fun and unusual addition to any collection!"

Cold Steel Colichemare Sword:

"The Colichemarde emerged on the sword scene in the late 1600's during the decline of the Rapier and the rise of the small sword. Its long suit was its uniquely shaped blade that was extra wide at the forte then stepped down or narrowed for the rest of its length before ending in a wicked point. The advantage of this configuration was it allowed the sword to be used to parry or oppose even the heaviest weapons without breaking, yet remain light and supple enough to take full advantage of its lightning quick point. The Colichemarde has great versatility in attack or defense so we enlisted the aid of our good friend Dave Baker, and made our own modern interpretation. True to form, our blade mirrors the original design concepts with an extra long and wide forte that abruptly tapers down to an acute and deadly point. The hilt features a decorative, yet highly functional, double shell guard, complete with finger loops and knuckle bow, while the grip is completely wire wrapped and capped with a matching pummel. Additionally, we have also taken the liberty of creating a matching dagger with a stiff, beautifully ground and polished blade, double quillons, and wire wrapped handle."

Cold Steel Viking Hand Axe:

"The historically-inspired Viking Hand Axe is a design collaboration between Lynn C. Thompson, and custom bladesmiths Dave Baker and Rich McDonald. The stout 30" American Hickory handle, extra broad and sharp cutting edge, hooking beard, and up-swept thrusting horn combine to make a formidable fighting axe that would be the pride of any Vikings collection! A Cor-Ex sheath, which is sold separately, is available for the Viking Bearded Axe."

Cold Steel Templar Thrower:

"The Cold Steel Templar is a specialized throwing tool made for modern sport or competition throwers. Designed by custom bladesmith Dave Baker, the Templar is inspired by an ancient historical throwing axe known as a Hurlbat. Made of one solid piece of tough spring tempered carbon steel, the Templar is fun to throw and easy to use. When it comes to "sticking" potential, it's the next best thing to a shuriken or throwing star, landing with a satisfying "thunk" over and over again! With an axe-style head, top and back spikes and a tapered spiked handle, it hits hard at almost any distance and rotation, and thanks to its head-heavy balance it is capable of being thrown even over extended distances."

Back