Dave's New Ride....Lots of Leather

Horsewright

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
As many of you know I've had a new saddle on order for quite a while. Well its showed up Tuesday and WOW!. I've been so busy riding it, I hadn't had a chance to take any pics. Finally did yesterday (Saturday), so here they are:

It's a partial roughout, partial carved saddle. All the carved areas are smooth out. It has an inlaid padded seat with a contrasting water buffalo leather cover. The horn wrap is the same water buffalo.

9j63bdk.jpg

The carving is an oak and acorn pattern. The fork here, is actually carved once the leather is on the fork. The rest of the carving is done before the leather is on the saddle:

tQkLhiM.jpg

The saddle was made by Porter Rix of Freckers Saddlery. Freckers is a very famous saddle shop and are well known for their saddles. One aspect is that they also make their own trees, the framework that the saddle is built on. This is a little unusual as most saddle makers use a tree made by some one else.

D6HkAbK.jpg

I like the small details like even the latigo keeper is carved, not just marked with the makers mark.

EQIYb29.jpg

WGk9jAd.jpg

The carving is superb with great depth to it:

Cll1g7Y.jpg

FvdVMjR.jpg

Lots of bar backgrounding here!

UFsOWy6.jpg

Love my braided rawhide hobble ring too:

EbT114I.jpg

I've never had an inlaid padded seat before, but this old guys pin bones needed one and it makes a difference! The water buffalo inlaid seat:

tioEFp2.jpg

hDileGY.jpg

Nichole's saddle in the background is also a Frecker's (made by Tyler Frecker). Having one already is what convinced me that this is who I wanted to make my next saddle. Besides the obvious extreme quality, one of the things I really liked about her's is that it fit all of our horses well. When I ordered mine I mentioned that and they had me go down to the tack room and look under one of the skirts on her saddle. Stamped there was a code and that told them exactly what tree model it was built on. So they built me the same tree with just a little bigger seat. Mine is a 16 inch seat and Nichole's is 14.75 inch seat. They both fit all our horses very well.

Well having a new saddle ain't much good if ya don't have something to put it on. Bout a month and change back I recently picked up a new 2 year old filly. She had been started and had about 40 rides on her when I got her. She'll be three in a couple of weeks. The young man that started her did a great job on her and I can really say that having started about 2,000 colts my own self over the years, (its what I use to do). He had bought the filly as a yearling out of AZ and then taken her home to ID where she was turned out to pasture. He took a job as one of Doug Williamson's assistants here outside of Bakersfield. Doug is an absolutely LEGENDARY working cowhorse trainer and is featured heavily in the very popular documentary "Down The Fence." If you are stuck in the house during these days and have a couple of hours, watch it. I've seen it five or six times and would watch it again right now. Anyhoo hooked up with this young guy, when we saw he was selling a horse and went and test drove her a couple of times, she passed the vet check with flying colors, we struck a deal and she came home with us. Her name is Lil Sis, well she has a registered name and I can't recall what it is right now and not sure where Nichole stuck her papers, but we call her Lil Sis:

Horsewright water buffalo head stall and water buffalo overlay slobber straps attaching the mecate rein to the snaffle bit:

GdRciVA.jpg

MiMaWPE.jpg

Backing:

fnZyFEy.jpg

TJQcoPs.jpg

More gratuitous saddle shots. Lil Sis sure has an interesting color.

tG6c86B.jpg

Playing with the rope. The swinging of the rope bothered her a little so just been gradually exposing her to more and more:

RPyMbVb.jpg

Asked my friend Tyler if he'd sat in my new saddle yet:

b0T66DA.jpg

So I climbed up on big Dusty Rose for a bit while he gave Lil Sis and my new saddle a cruise:

gYFeBcE.jpg

Sitting on two good uns:

iD15oK7.jpg

Our horses are all freeze branded. A special branding iron is cooled in liquid nitrogen until Its like 320 degrees below zero. It's then pressed firmly agains the horse for a time based on the color of the horse. This is relatively painless but the horse is sedated so that they don't move around from the pressure of the iron. The vet counted 14 seconds in his head and then removed the iron. The hairs will grow back (over a period of a couple of months) white where she is dark and dark where she is light. By the next day its painless to rub on it, doesn't bother her at all. Lil Sis joining the outfit:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_sQPHBDec8/

As always questions and comments are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Congrats Dave that is a beautiful saddle !!!!!! That looks as comfortable as a laz z boy chair
:)

Thanks for sharing all the pics !!!

I haven’t been around horses in long time. My ex and I had horses, I do miss the horses ;):p

That's a real nice ride Dave, way better than one with an internal combustion engine. All-tho a horse might me considered internal combustion.:)
John

Dave that is a spectacular saddle, thanks for posting pics, boy the attention to detail and craftsmanship is truly amazing. I can see why they command the price and the timeline to take delivery. Was on there website the other day and they are booked till 2021 into 22 already. If it rides like it looks you should be very comfy up there. Enjoy and enjoy that new addition to the stable.

The empty acorn cap under the back of the seat is such a great touch.

Good luck with it and Lil Sis!

Congrats Dave that is a beautiful saddle !!!!!! That looks as comfortable as a laz z boy chair
:)

Thanks for sharing all the pics !!!

I haven’t been around horses in long time. My ex and I had horses, I do miss the horses ;):p

You bet its very comfortable indeed.

Loks like she would like to be a Roan. Blue??

Howdy Paul. Genuine Hickory Girl is Lil Sis' registered name. She's registered as a brown roan although she comes from a long line of blue roans on the top side. Here's a pic of her last summer, she'd roaned out compltley:

i2N8Oqr.jpg

When I first went to look at her she was pretty much buckskin colored with the silver patches on the rump. You'd know every name on the papers. TQHMacs Mecom Blue is the sire by Mecom Blue (half brother to Peptoboonsmal), by Haidas Little Pep and out of Royal Blue Boon. The dam is Miss Georgie Hickory by Peppy San Drift by little Peppy Seiko and out of Miss Lesa Hickory by Son of Hickory by Docs Hickory. She was working Tyler's dog that was running around the roundpen the other day.

Great write up, thanks for sharing.

Beautiful leather and great pics as always!

Thanks!

That's a real nice ride Dave, way better than one with an internal combustion engine. All-tho a horse might me considered internal combustion.:)
John

On occasion John!

Dave that is a spectacular saddle, thanks for posting pics, boy the attention to detail and craftsmanship is truly amazing. I can see why they command the price and the timeline to take delivery. Was on there website the other day and they are booked till 2021 into 22 already. If it rides like it looks you should be very comfy up there. Enjoy and enjoy that new addition to the stable.

Thanks. Yeah I was lucky to buy into a slot that was less than a year out.

Spectacular work of art. And Lil Sis ain't so bad either.

Thanks!

The empty acorn cap under the back of the seat is such a great touch.

Good luck with it and Lil Sis!

Yeah, I really like the flow of the design.

If I ever get a horse, That's the saddle I would want.....Beautiful leather work !

Hi, Dave, just came upon your pics...always great and so much fun to see...and wish that I'd stayed in TX years ago...such a beautiful roan and new saddle.
I'm certainly not up on the saddle lingo... just one sentence of your descriptions of the horse's leather gear had four terms that I'd never heard of...
but...it's all great and I admire everything that you do, and your fine ranch. I was rather upset that your fences are no longer like the ones in John Wayne movies.
What is the shiny metal on that stirrup? Mexican silver, sterling, or stainless?
I have to say, Dave, IF...IF...IF...you had enough time between your horse-leather business, your knife-making and your sheathes...you could make a magnificent saddle. I wear some of your leather every day, and I'm a believer.

cheers, don

Last edited:
Makes me wish I had a horse, just so I could have a beautiful saddle like that. Very nice!

Hi, Dave, just came upon your pics...always great and so much fun to see...and wish that I'd stayed in TX years ago...such a beautiful roan and new saddle.
I'm certainly not up on the saddle lingo... just one sentence of your descriptions of the horse's leather gear had four terms that I'd never heard of...
but...it's all great and I admire everything that you do, and your fine ranch. I was rather upset that your fences are no longer like the ones in John Wayne movies.
What is the shiny metal on that stirrup? Mexican silver, sterling, or stainless?
I have to say, Dave, IF...IF...IF...you had enough time between your horse-leather business, your knife-making and your sheathes...you could make a magnificent saddle. I wear some of your leather every day, and I'm a believer.

cheers, don

Howdy Don. Somehow I missed your reply here. Thanks! The metal on the stirrups is called Monel. I believe it is a nickel silver alloy. You'll occasionally see stainless, brass and copper too but monel seems to kinda be the standard. I should probably take up making folders in all my spare time before saddle making!

Makes me wish I had a horse, just so I could have a beautiful saddle like that. Very nice!

Thanks Amy!

Nichole's horse is off being bred. So she's been riding Lil Sis for me while she's a pedestrian. Here's the first time on cattle from last Fri.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAiwz3Ij91z/

With your high quality of leather work, I would bet that saddlemaker was nervous
sending that to you :)
It's a beautiful piece of work.
Doc

Heck, Dave, it's getting so I can't come up with the words...such beautiful pics, horses, leather, saddle, ranch, your family, etc....I suppose one of these times, I'll just say "ditto."
Don

With your high quality of leather work, I would bet that saddlemaker was nervous
sending that to you :)
It's a beautiful piece of work.
Doc

Thanks! We have a mutual customer in Norway. He rides their saddles and carries my knives, uses our wildrags and headstalls etc. They were going over to ski with Per Adne. They hauled a pair of chinks that I had made for Per Adne over to Norway for me.

Heck, Dave, it's getting so I can't come up with the words...such beautiful pics, horses, leather, saddle, ranch, your family, etc....I suppose one of these times, I'll just say "ditto."
Don

Thanks Don!

Dang nice. Do they custom make the tree to fit both the horse and you? Thanks for sharing.

Back