Dealing with Non-Knife People

Here's a thread over in the "Main" Blade Forum on the reaction on non-knife people to seeing a folding knife clipped to somebody's pocket in a non-threatening situation.

I sometimes find myself saying, "I am not your enemy, so why are you afraid of this knife?" Does AKTI have any suggestions?

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

[This message has been edited by James Mattis (edited 08-08-2000).]

Lets all move to states bordering montana and see if the the gun loving militias will join up with us and form a knife and gun friendly nation
rolleyes.gif

And no customs will not let sheeple through under any circumstances
wink.gif

Really I have no idea what to do about it. I always try to use my knives in a non threatening positive manner, for things that are constructive. But it seems to be either hit or miss, people either accept knives or they don't. The ones that do can be anywhere from a full blown knifenut to someone who doesn't care about knives either way, their not interested in them but don't sh*t their pants when they see them. The ones that don't appreciate knives for what they are, are the people that draw attention to all the bad stuff and give knives a dangerous image. In the end it seems like the way you were raised makes the biggest difference, other than that, once the person has an opinion your not going to change it. nobody's going to talk me into not carrying a knife, and most sheeple will never be talked into carrying a knife. Try to be a positive influence whenever you can, and other than that just ignore all the BS

------------------
It'll feel better when it stops hurting.

What's really frustrating is finding that someobdy is even afraid of having a knife in his, or usually her, own hands. It's progress when you can get somebody to actually open a "high-speed" folder and discover that they can do it without cutting themseves!

I'm determined to get the lady at my mailboxes place to carry a knife - been working on her for years now. She still says she's afraid of cutting herself by opening and closing a folder, though she's proven that she can operate a full-size auto without drawing blood. I can't understand why anybody would be afraid of using a folder, when they routinely get in and out of a car without crushing their fingers in the door!

So it goes ... just preaching to the choir here.
smile.gif

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

I usually get a pretty positive response to my knives, but then again I don't go out of my way to frighten people ("and _this_ is how I'd use this knife to take off someone's head..")

How to get non-knife people to see the light? I don't know. Familiarity works well for some. I always leave some folding knives on the coffee table, so when people come over to watch TV they usually end up playing with one of them. With every person who leaves my apartment newly educated on how to close an integral lock, a liner lock, a rolling lock, etc., I feel like I have contributed to the good fight. Most of my friends have either gotten or want to get knives of their own, if anything just to shut me up about how neat they are. My roommate is dying to get her own sebenza and has branded me an "evil, bad, bad bunny" for introducing her to CR knives. My other roommate won't leave the Endura alone, so I may get him his own for Christmas.
smile.gif

The main "bad" reactions to knives I've seen are fear and disgust.

Fear -- these are the people who just plain don't know anything about knives, and don't like them because they don't know how to use them and are afraid they will injure themselves. These people refuse to use knives as either tools or weapons, or as anything really. I mean, didn't some greasy hoodlum once use a folding knife in a movie to cut someone's throat? That could spontaneously happen to you, but only if you acknowledge that knives exist!
rolleyes.gif
Once properly educated, though, they usually go, "Hey, that didn't blow up in my hand, and it's kinda neat!" I can deal with this type of non-knife person behavior better than:

Disgust -- I usually run into this from people who are waaaaay into MA, and who view guns and knives as being the tools of weak, evil, sneaky, inferior people who do not have enough courage to face a group of attacking thugs with only the "flying hyena of death" technique and a pure heart. To them, knives are primarily weapons, and they don't like to associate with weapons because they view them as a dishonorable cop-out (side note: sorry, but as a 5'0" woman I will take any freakin' advantage I can get if I'm cornered)... Any suggestions on how to deal with these people, I haven't a clue...
frown.gif

When I run into someone who is irrationally averse to shiny sharp objects it's always a disappointment. I brought a beautiful new 15" Ang Khola into work with me the other day and showed it around the office. All the ladies and gents oohed and aahed and said, "pretty!" -- all except for one guy, who said, "I'm not into weapons" and refused to even touch it.
rolleyes.gif
I tried to explain that no, see, this is a piece of lovely artwork that I can also use to clear blackberry vines, mountain apple limbs and banana trees with, but he just wasn't having it. Guess I failed there.

On the other hand, one takes what one can get. After playing with the BM mel pardue letter opener
wink.gif
most of my friends are no longer afraid of "evil switchblades". And a whole bunch of people in my office now know the correct, safe way to sheath/unsheath a khukuri, should they ever need to(?)!

The good fight, eh?
biggrin.gif

My cop friends and I sometimes go out around the town wearing our Berettas on our hips and I usually have my 13" double edged dagger with me. People don't even know how to react when we go places and are always the most well behaved and polite people there, lol.

It's fun knowning cops that believe in the right to bear arms.

------------------
I twist the facts until they tell the truth. -Some intellectual sadist

The Bill of Rights is a document of brilliance, a document of wisdom, and it is the ultimate law, spoken or not, for the very concept of a society that holds liberty above the desire for ever greater power. -Me

Ask yourself this question. "How many movies have I seen that show someone being threatened, injured, or killed with any kind of blade?" How many movies out there show a knife stricktly being used to save peoples lives, and don't show anyone getting hurt by them? This is called programming. It doen't matter how right you are about knives being tools. If Hollywood is going to use them exclusivly for raising the viewer's heartrate every time they see a knife on the screen, then that's exactly what is going to happen to that person's heartrate offscreen. Ask yourself another question. "Does Hollyweird care that it is vilifying one of mans most basic and versatile tools?" If you can drum up enough interest and support (read that money) I know an independent film maker in L.A. who has got everything that it takes to put a film together that could really rock. After all, the independent films are the ones getting all that media attention these days. Seriously, this is a real plan that can reach millions of people. Big change requires big risks.
Ask me questions.

James Lechago brings up an interesting point about the Media's portrayal of knives.

Perhaps AKTI could influence a more balanced presentation of our favorite tools.

------------------
AKTI Member No. A000370
Email: DouglasSctt@Netscape.net

Back