Deals for 1/7 -- Pix, Falcata, Everest Katana , Kobra and great buys

Ballistol:

The crack in the wood was probably caused by the steel tang flexing just a little when you swung the heavy blade. Also possibly due to expansion and contraction of the steel due to temperature changes. I wonder if there is a big temperature differential from indoors to outdoors, given that you're in Sweden.

It looks to me that you could get some superglue into that crack. Capillary action and gravity will draw it in, and it will probably take several applications to fill the crack. When done, sand off any excess. The crack will be barely noticeable.

Since this is not going to be a "user" due to the weight, and since it is full-tang, you don't have to worry about weakness in the handle. I doubt that even the short piece on the end will ever come off.

I've also had a problem with the weight of this model. The Falcatas are beautiful, but I would need a two-handed grip for anything 3 lbs or higher. I'd like to see lighter weight Falcatas, or a model with the Falcata type blade and guard but a handle shape that supports a two-handed grip. Maybe a longer, slightly down-curved handle with a downswept end that doesn't get in the way of a two-handed grip. I suppose it wouldn't be a Falcata without the umbrella handle, but it would be a great blade.

I believe Shavru mentioned that original Falcatas that have been dug up weighed around 36 ounces. HI Falcata are noticeably heavier, as most people who buy from HI buy with wood processing or brush clearing in mind and not martial arts or combat. I personally would love to see HI Falcatas that have a weight closer to that of historical Falcatas.

I keep a V-42 Stiletto by my bed. I keep it there because I know that no matter how I grip it when I grab it off the nightstand I will be holding it correctly enough. My Thamar Yek Chirra is close by as well, just not where I will grab it instantly the moment I wake up.

I believe Shavru mentioned that original Falcatas that have been dug up weighed around 36 ounces. HI Falcata are noticeably heavier, as most people who buy from HI buy with wood processing or brush clearing in mind and not martial arts or combat. I personally would love to see HI Falcatas that have a weight closer to that of historical Falcatas.

I keep a V-42 Stiletto by my bed. I keep it there because I know that no matter how I grip it when I grab it off the nightstand I will be holding it correctly enough. My Thamar Yek Chirra is close by as well, just not where I will grab it instantly the moment I wake up.

Scara, I see we have similar likes but, I'm a light sleeper. I only have two well tuned 1911's, a USGI Model 12 Trench Gun and a Microtech Jagdcommando within arms reach. I won't bore others with the second tier. However it does include some formidable HI items in case things might go south. I know I'm ancient and not up to snuff with current trends but, some nights I sleep comfortably. I'm certainly glad that in my old age, I'm no longer paranoid.

Just yanking your chain my friend. Although the armament is sadly a fact.

Scara, I see we have similar likes but, I'm a light sleeper. I only have two well tuned 1911's, a USGI Model 12 Trench Gun and a Microtech Jagdcommando within arms reach. I won't bore others with the second tier. However it does include some formidable HI items in case things might go south. I know I'm ancient and not up to snuff with current trends but, some nights I sleep comfortably. I'm certainly glad that in my old age, I'm no longer paranoid.

Just yanking your chain my friend. Although the armament is sadly a fact.

Do you actually own the Jagdkommando? It's always seemed more like something people talk about but don't actually own. And my 1911 and SIG would take a little longer to get to, but that's because I don't control entry and exit into the apartment. It's the breaks when you're a college student. So my weapons are for the purpose of defending my bedroom.

Yes, I have one. Could you do the same or better for less a lot less $$? Absolutely! It appears the ancients have experience on their side. I believe a good double edged dagger would suffice full well for the purpose inferred. I worked in the OR in a hospital adjoining Chicago in the late 70's and early 80's while attending NU, working as a Tech. By the time the ER needed to send them to us, the fight was long gone. The only ones arriving had wounds from pen knives or .22 and .25acp wounds and they did not fair very well. The others never made it and we were a high volume trauma center. Not much but, you can be the judge.

Well, you're the first person I'm aware of that actually owns one. I see people talk about them plenty, either people who are just enamored of them, or people who are mocking the knives as expensive novelties. Until now however, no one has actually said they own one.

Oh and since I didn't make it clear, my V-42 Stiletto is a reproduction, not original. I wouldn't keep an original as my "get the hell off of me and my bed" knife.

Well, you're the first person I'm aware of that actually owns one. I see people talk about them plenty, either people who are just enamored of them, or people who are mocking the knives as expensive novelties. Until now however, no one has actually said they own one.

Oh and since I didn't make it clear, my V-42 Stiletto is a reproduction, not original. I wouldn't keep an original as my "get the hell off of me and my bed" knife.

I don't know much about the V-42. I imagine it must be similar to the fighting knife explained to me by my late father witnessing Rangers being deployed. He was an AF bombardier and was anamored by their blades. He felt underwhelmed by his issue AF Ka-Bar. He was that way though, never really a happy person no matter what. I only have a couple trench knives that are similar, not sounding the same. Those are something my granddad spoke of but, not near as highly as the Khukris he referenced about his battles in the trenches of WWI. He held the Gurkhas and their Khukris in the highest regard and told many tales of their ferociousness. Although, none so spoken of as highly as his 1911, supposedly it saved his life on several occasions according to him. He did well as a soldier, a Master Sargeant in a time not so easy to do so, at least I'm told. Very we'll decorated with several Purple Hearts and finally succumbed to the effects of being gassed several times although later in his life.

Last edited:
Ballistol:
...Also possibly due to expansion and contraction of the steel due to temperature changes. I wonder if there is a big temperature differential from indoors to outdoors, given that you're in Sweden...

Maybe the kamis shouldda made them with Volvo springs. Tatas are better suited for the tropics;)

Back