Deciding between a Sebenza, Inkosi, or Mnandi

Sebenza, Inkosi, or Mnandi?

• Sebenza

• Inkosi

• Mnandi

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm thinking about buying my first CRK but still can't decide on which one to buy. I'm hoping something posted here can help tip the scales towards one of the three.

Here's what I think I know:

Sebenza - the knife that put CRK on the map. Simple design and elegant.

Inkosi - controversial to say, but the "upgraded" version of the Sebenza. The blade is shorter and thicker, and the grip shape may not be for everyone. For reference, I have average sized hands.

Mnandi - the "gentleman's knife" or "office knife." Sleek, elegant, and smaller than the choices above. Can't be put through as much abuse, but to be honest, I probably won't be using the knives for more than opening boxes and cutting a few simple things here and there.

At first, I thought I wanted the Sebenza without the micarta since it was the first and simplest. Then I learned that the Inkosi was smoother and was the "upgraded" version. Last, I discovered the Mnandi, which is so different from the other two. Again, practically speaking, I probably don't even need a knife.

What do you think I should buy?

Based on your descriptions from your research and potential use (sounds light at most) I'm voting for the Small Sebenza 21. For the weight of 3.0 ounces you get a very usable size that seems to most everyone's hands. From a maintenance perspective I very much prefer the Sebenza to the Inkosi: One size hex wrench and no Locktite used or needed due to the pivot bushing. And maintenance, if ever needed, if easier because there are zero adjustments-- simply re-assemble and that's it. I have found the small Inkosi just a tad too short and without the lanyard it's awkward to hold. Mnandi's are fine cutlery tools, but really different from both the Sebenza and Inkosi.

You do need to consider the blade shape: Drop Point, Insingo, or Tanto. My personal favorite for wide application is the Tanto.

Look forward to seeing how your decision goes!

The Mnandi is quite small ... I finally tried one but for my hands it was far too small ... beautiful knife and I really wish it would have been equal size to a small 21 I could have made that work for occasional carry ...

if you are looking at small 21s vs small Inkosi ... I much prefer the small 21 ...

if you move to the large 21 vs large Inkosi ... the Inkosi was the smoothest "out of the box" CRK I have purchased ... but the 21s quickly break in and are as smooth if not more so ...

so just one man's opinion ... first CRK ... get a 21 ... I prefer the large for my hand size and uses ... but everyone's hand size and uses or carry restrictions are different.

Small Sebenza with micarta inlays(blades shape your choice), adds some grip and fills the hand a bit better than the PJ. It is an excellent EDC if you don't need a large blade-still will get almost all done the large can do and less weight to drag around.
My favorite Sebenza

Echo the small sebenza 21. It’s a good length, classic, and can be used harder than a mnandi (tho a mnandi is no wimp). Inkosis are also cool but I have a love/hate regard for the handle due to its length - it’s cramped for my large/medium large hands.

Everyone is different. I like both the 21 and the Inkosi. They both have pro/con. The 21 has easier maintenance - just remove the pivot screw, slide the bushing/washers/blade assembly out, clean, lube, put the assembly back together, slide into assembled handle, tighten pivot. Not that the Inkosi is hard to maintain, the 21 is a little easier.

But I prefer the Inkosi. Just feels better in hand, both large and small. I don't have large hands, though.

Small PJ 21 Insingo is a perfect slim, easily maintained pocket knife IMO. It packs a nice length of blade into that handle. I have medium hands and have no issues. For everyday tasks, the Insingo blade shape is fantastic.

Another small PJ Insingo suggestion. My hand measures slightly over 3 1/2" across the palm from where the outside of the forefinger meets the palm to where the outside of the little finger meets at the same place. So, although there isn't any practical grip from the little finger (it just kinda loosely rests on there), as there is with my large Wilson Star-Benza 25, I still get a very good purchase because the thumb jimping allows me to securely "press" the handle against my forefinger and use the palm for guiding while cutting - hope that makes some kind of sense. So, it gets back to what Lone_Wolfe asked above - what will you be using it for. I would classify the majority of my CRK use as medium meaning card board box destruction, etc., small game - that type of use If the majority of your tasks require more cutting force where you need to really securely grip the knife to forcefully get the job done (something like slicing through the sidewalls of tires or with wood or large game) or need to cut with more precision, you'd probably find the large size more suitable.
Another reason for the suggestion of a PJ small for the first CRK is price difference and although I don't have any, I can understand how a small with Micarta inlays would offer more surface area for a more secure grip, if that is worrisome to you. I'd also suggest buying your first CRK from a reputable dealer with a good return policy so you could exchange and go "up" without hassle if you might want to do that.
Either way, I feel you might find an Insingo to be a great choice.
Hope all of that is of some help and not too confusing.
OG

I can't speak for you, but for me, I settled on a small pj inkosi as my daily carry. My second choice is a large Sabenza 25, which was the prototype for the large inckosi. All of my sabenzas have inlays so I can't speak about a pj small sabenza. I find the inlays are great to look at but I find them a little bulky for EDC.(My 25 does have inlays.)

Where will you carry and use it most?

Here is the hilarious part - I probably won’t carry it. I just don’t need a knife 99.9% of the time. And thus I would probably leave it at home, and use it perhaps never, as the idiot in me will think, “I’ll juse use my scissors or cheap knife to open this package and keep my CRK in good condition”

To all the others who have responded, thank you! I hadn’t considered that the inkosi was a bit more finicky to maintain and some of the other things. I’m shocked it’s such a landslide for the sebenza so far, but perhaps that’s the push I needed

If you don't plan on carrying it daily, get the large Sebenza. Size ain't an issue if you're never gonna use it.

I do carry mine daily, and use it whenever I need to, for just about anything. It's built to be a user. I actually just got rid of my small Sebenza, because the large is perfect in everyway.

Here is the hilarious part - I probably won’t carry it. I just don’t need a knife 99.9% of the time. And thus I would probably leave it at home, and use it perhaps never, as the idiot in me will think, “I’ll juse use my scissors or cheap knife to open this package and keep my CRK in good condition”

To all the others who have responded, thank you! I hadn’t considered that the inkosi was a bit more finicky to maintain and some of the other things. I’m shocked it’s such a landslide for the sebenza so far, but perhaps that’s the push I needed

The .1% of the time when you do use a knife, a CRK will bring a smile to your face and you'll know what a well made knife feels like. The small Sebenza is a better slicer than the Inkosi because the Sebenza has a thinner blade. So when that occasional package needs to be opened or that rouge thread needs to be terminated, it will be effortless with a CRK. At least you're not using a key to open a package with.
If you do get one, either you'll come to admire it and forget about the cheap knives you have, or you'll wonder what was I thinking buying this knife. If it's the latter, then it's about resell value. IMO, the Mnandi holds the best resell value. I've handled one and knew right away it was too small for me, I've seen them go for retail on the secondary market. Folks just don't move a Mnandi like the Sebenza or Inkosi.
Have you looked at the Impinda ?? I picked one up and I'll get another one when they become more abundant. Sweet knife

If I wasn't going to carry and only use infrequently, I might up the looks and get a wood inlay Mnandi or Sebenza, or possibly a CGG(maybe a night sky or morning sun) or unique graphic.
at least it is an option to think about-it opens up to a few I might not suggest for a hard use knife.

Last edited:
Maintenance of the Sebenza and Inkosi to see for yourself:

I rarely completely disassemble my Sebenzas. I normally just remove the pivot screw/pin and slide the blade/washers/bushing out to clean and lube, then slide the assembly back in.

I got my 1st large 21/with bog oak inlays two months ago, and never look'd back, fit/finish is outstanding and fits my large hand like a glove, so I voted the the 21 as the best.

Honestly, other people's opinions don't matter when it comes to deciding which knife one should buy. If they did, I would have loved the large 21, the PM2, and the Olamic 247. I didn't like the way any of them felt in MY hand, despite the hype on the forums.
FWIW, I prefer the large inkosi over the large 21. Heck, I prefer the small 21 over the large 21. I probably like the large inkosi a little better... but that might be because of the micarta inlays.

Sebenza hands down. It is indeed the best there is. It is as close to the original design that is ( Thank God ) still available every day.

I had the same decision recently. I went with the small tanto Inkosi. Now I am hooked. I had two Hinderers previously and still love them but the Inkosi is so refined and just melts in my pocket. Now I am wanting an Umnumzaan too.

Back