Declaring Knives When Shipping

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Good afternoon friends. I am in Canada and ship knives to the USA. Obviously I won't lie on a declaration form. However, I had a customer bring up an interesting point about extra scrutiny from border services or theft by postal workers or theft in general. He said a razor he purchased was marked delivered, even though it never showed up. Also worth noting is that often packages are left at doorsteps or in lobbies.

So rather than putting the enticing words "custom knife" or the threatening words "custom machete", what are your thoughts on writing "camping gear", "cooking gear", or "hand tools"?

My questions are
1. Do you agree this is still truthful, even if vague?
2. Do you think it might cause a problem if a border agent searches a package labelled "hand tools" and finds a knife? Like, he might consider the label to have been dishonest, and could that have repercussions?
3. Do you think someone is less likely to steal a small package marked "camping gear" than than one marked "custom knife"
4. If you can think of other questions I haven't asked, but should have, by all means answer them!

Thanks

I've used "hand tool" when shipping knives for years. It is not vague or misleading - knives are hand tools.I wrap my knives in Aluminum foil
and pack them well, so no rattle. It works in US and EU; don't know about
Canada.
Rich

Last edited:
I've always used "camping tool". It's worked for years now and I get knives shipped from other countries described the same way. It's vague but I wouldn't say it's dishonest and makes it less likely to get stolen. Putting "knife" on there isn't a problem here in the US but it might be for other places. Writing "custom knife" makes me think $$$.

+1 on "camping tool". I've sent maybe two dozen knives abroad - mainly Europe or Australia - and never had an issue.

Depending on the knife, I might switch it up to "kitchen tool", "mechanic's tool", etc.

Definitely don't say "custom" - that's just begging for unwanted attention.

2. Do you think it might cause a problem if a border agent searches a package labelled "hand tools" and finds a knife? Like, he might consider the label to have been dishonest, and could that have repercussions?

Regarding this, it's definitely not dishonest. Moreover, given the volume of mail that inspectors are checking, I really doubt they'd ever notice, or care. They're looking for 1) things that are obviously illegal - mainly drugs, or 2) things that are obviously under-declared in value to avoid taxes/duties. If you're not shipping a kilo of BC's finest along with your knife, and not declaring the solid gold handle as being valued $25, you'll be fine :)

I agree that CUTLERY is accurate but vague. I have sent knives to Europe with the label reading - folding knife being returned for repair. Guessing that a broken knife is not an attractive target.

If you're not shipping a kilo of BC's finest along with your knife, [...] you'll be fine :)

Haha thanks for the chuckle. And thank you to all respondents, you've given me a lot of good advice here.

I label it as Knife.
Or Folding Knife if it folds. Well, I did put Collectible Pocket Knife one time.

That's what it is.
That's what I'm shipping.
No need to hide it (it's a legal knife), and never had any issues. :thumbsup:

Neither have I... yet. But this was based on a customer request, and from the posts in reply to my OP, I can see that there are more than a few who would feel more secure if their knife maker ships them a box labeled "camping too" or "hand tool". I will oblige my customers.

Yeah, there are way too many stories of boxes labelled "KNIFE" that have been "altered" through the mail system or otherwise diverted. Seems silly to advertise. Sadly in the reality of life - the Super Model always gets more attention than the Bank Teller (at least site unseen).

I import a lot of vintage Schrade knives from USA to Canada. I also ship in the other direction occasionally. In my experience knives coming into Canada get inspected less often when labelled "collectable cutlery". I use the same designation when shipping to USA. So far I have never had a delay at US Customs. Smooth sailing to my US customers.

Yeah, there are way too many stories of boxes labelled "KNIFE" that have been "altered" through the mail system or otherwise diverted. Seems silly to advertise. Sadly in the reality of life - the Super Model always gets more attention than the Bank Teller (at least site unseen).
I'd take a well fed Bank Teller over an anorexic Super Model any day of the week!

Back