Decorated Sebenza...?

Why are the decorated Sebenza's only finished on the front side? Ive got the CGG Aztech model and while the front looks great, the back side is just another plain model.

Would just putting more of a polish to match the front add that much more to the cost?

Not finishing the back side just makes it look uneven to me.

------------------
Keith D.Armacost
If At First You Don't Succeed,
Skydiving Is Not For You.

Polishing the back of a Sebenza is a whole different ball game from polishing the front. The critical area is the locking bar. To polish a surface well, it has be be absolutely flat but, because of the bend on the locking bar, it is not perfectly flat. Even with the wood inlay Sebenzas, where there is an inlay on the back, the locking bar is beadblasted.

Anne

You know, thats the one thing I didnt think of...Makes sense though.

Too bad it cant easily be done though, it sure would look nice.

Thanks for the reply,

------------------
Keith D.Armacost
If At First You Don't Succeed,
Skydiving Is Not For You.

Anne, why not do it like the wood inlays are done? How much would it cost more? Leaving the locking bar beadblasted is ok, but the rest of the scales should be polished to match the front.

Hugo.

I'm interested in getting a high circle sm plain. But if the back does not match the fronts finish, I think it would look and *feel* a little strange. Is one side smooth and the other the standard grit blasted finish? Would it not be possible to polish the lock side BEFORE bending? Would it be possible to NOT grit blast it at all? It dosent make much sense to finish the handle TWICE, does it?

It seems to me that a plain polished area would look rather characterless. It also scratches very quickly. On the wood inlay, you have the section of wood filling in the space and giving "substance" to the back of the knife. The beadblasted surface is more uniform and somehow looks more finihed. It is almost as if it creates a platform for the decorated front face. Hard to explain!

Anne

Anne, but it still doesn't match the front side!

I've seen one decorated Sebenza and it just doesn't look right that the sides are finished in a different way. Is it some kind of American way of doing knives to make them have front and back sides? I've always thought all the knives (puukkos) have two sides. This means that even if there is some special decoration that would be only on one side, still the other side would also be finished in a matching way.

The plain ones have two matching sides, the wood inlay models have two matching sides - so why not the decorated models? You can obviously polish everything else from the lock side, except the lock bar. And I think that even that would make the sides match much better. Sure now the backside scratches too, but so what? It's the backside! And if the front side is already prone to scratching, the owner will take care of it. I think scratching is a moot point as the decorated side is already prone to that.

Hugo.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hugo:
but so what? It's the backside! </font>

I understand your position, but that's the way I feel about the backside being bead blasted. Western style pocket knives have always had a front and reverse side. Probably due to advertising, catalogs, and the fact that display boards used to have the knives wired to them so you could only see one side. That's why traditional slipjoints only have a shield on one side, and it's always the same side. It would be nice if they could polish the back side, but the bead blasting doesn't bother me. I also think it would add to the price of an already expensive knife.

------------------
Paul Davidson

Them:"What's that clipped to your pocket, a beeper?"
Me:"Uuh....yeah, something like that."

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paul Davidson:
Western style pocket knives have always had a front and reverse side. Probably due to advertising, catalogs, and the fact that display boards used to have the knives wired to them so you could only see one side.</font>
So because it's always been like that... sorry, not good enough.
smile.gif
Specially as the wood inlay models do have maching sides. Both sides have the wood inlay, and both sides are polished. So, why not the decorated... it can be done, and it would look better. If one is afraid of scratches, they can get the plain Seb - that too has matching sides
smile.gif

Hugo (Sebenza isn't perfect... even though it's very close...
wink.gif
)

None of my Sebenzas look the same on both sides. One side has this big crack in it! That ruins the symmetry of the knife.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

And the screws don't have a hole on one side!
rolleyes.gif

OK, so I'm a minority here I guess, so I'll take my smartass elsewhere.
smile.gif

Paul (the asymmetrical knife lover)

mad.gif

What a PofC. I had a small seb, superb, passed it on to Jnr. Decided to replace with a decorated version sight unseen (my fault)yet to arrive. Then someone spills the beans that the locking bar side is still the same turd grey. How can this possibly be acceptable to anyone. What a chump I feel.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Davis147:
How can this possibly be acceptable to anyone. What a chump I feel.</font>

To each his own. There are plenty of fancy folders out there to choose from, have fun.

Sounds like a good diagnosis to me farmer...

------------------
teacher

I have a decorated. I think the back scale looks just fine. Just because it is not the same color or finish does not mean that it doesn't match. It is just different.

------------------
Brian
The first knife was probably used to cut stuff.

Back