Deejo knife, a cool product or a gimmick?

Just found something interesting. I have been searching a "gentleman's knife" that would have some lenght but would be light and easy in the pocket at the same time. It would not have to be a really robust knife because it would be just something to cut with, mostly used for light work and occasional food preparation.

So I found Deejo. It has a minimal design and a liner lock. What do you think about that? The steel is cheap (420) which is kind of shame, but serviceable still. I thought I would get one with wood scale.

deejo-knives-caffin-3.jpg

Deejo-Knife-0-630x441.jpg

Just a thought. I read some reviews of the CRKT Kiss which has the same kind of construction and this might have the same kind of problems. I quess the safest way to use this would be tightening the pivot quite tight and treat it like a slip joint.

I've seen similar models. The Kiss series aren't bad at all. But anything that light weight wIll be a problem under heavy use.

As a gentleman's knife, it should be fine, and the unusual build just makes it more interesting.

I like the design. Generally not my cup of tea, but as a gentleman's knife it should do just fine. 420HC is not that bad a steel and is easy to sharpen and should work for the intended purpose.

Making a full scale to replace the strip of wood or plastic should not be too difficult. That would add some weight, but result would be more comfortable and maybe stronger if the scale was made of G10. Of course that would defeat the original purpose.

I have not handled the Deejo knife in question. But if you like the general shape of the blade and want to step up a notch in designlanguage, than take a closer look at the Spyderco Des Horn. One of my favourites for the moment. Beautiful, refined and elegant.

utpl4I4E

Spyderco Des Horn

Slenderness defined.

/ J

I have not handled the Deejo knife in question. But if you like the general shape of the blade and want to step up a notch in designlanguage, than take a closer look at the Spyderco Des Horn. One of my favourites for the moment. Beautiful, refined and elegant.

utpl4I4E

Spyderco Des Horn

Slenderness defined.

/ J

I have been looking at that knife for a long time, just have not pulled the trigger. In the more traditional designs these can fill the same purpose. Sorry to say that the Slimline trapper had several flaws, too light spring that is raised when the blade is open.

09082013213.jpg

Eerily similar to the Baladeo G series knives:

baladeo8.jpg

I saw them at an outdoors store near me and wasn't really that impressed with how they felt in hand but it's probably an okay knife for light use as others have mentioned.

I"d recommend (another Spyderco!) the Centofante 4; it was an incredible knife. The edge on mine had been taken way down so it was basically hollow ground to convex edge and much thinner than stock so it cut like a demon. :thumbup::D:cool:

15617378822_b0fa79fdaf_c.jpg

Last edited:

utpl4I4E

Spyderco Des Horn

Slenderness defined.

/ J

I really like this suggestion, but that might just be because I have a Des Horn incoming and I'm pretty jazzed about it. Still, it was the first thing I thought of when seeing the OP as well.

Eerily similar to the Baladeo G series knives:

I saw them at an outdoors store near me and wasn't really that impressed with how they felt in hand but it's probably an okay knife for light use as others have mentioned.

It's actually the same product, just rebranded.

Bit of a dead thread, but I've had one in the past to just see what it was like and I'd go with anything else. It's real pretty to look at but it needing two hands to open is really a hassle. Not only that but the wood does splinter with just basic carrying.

I really don't understand an "ultralight" backpacking product that weighs about the same an Opinel, but is less useful in most every way. I guess it is really just incredible how light the sheet metal and wood handles on the Opinel are compared to a locking steel skeleton handle.

I think I'm gonna try out one of the 15g models as a keychain knife - at least I won't be out much if it turns out to be a complete dud.

Back