Deer antler scales how to dye stain, polish?

I just finished a knife this being the first one in about 3 months my neighbor had given me some deer antler so isplit it and ground the scales flat and then i profiled them there drilled and just need to be sanded but in the process the nateral color was lost dont get me wrong the ivory colored scales look nice but i would like to put some of the nateral color back if any one can help me out it would be appreciated.
Russell a Scheringer

:
Russel:
You can soak them in a strong mixture of instant tea with lemon juice included.The acid in the artificial lemon helps to let the color soak in.I use this to age the bone hair pipe for chokers and bandoliers and such.
The longer you leave it the stronger the color.
There was also am artice in Blade not long ago where the guy used shoe polish.

I just finished a couple of little knives using both ways.
It seems both will rub off a little with a buffing wheel,but it doesn't on the bone.
I liked the black color I got when I used the old Fieblings leather dye on the one handle the best.
They should be posted in the H.I.forum prett soon.I sent Uncle Bill the pix last week.
Good luck.
smile.gif

------------------

>>>>---¥vsa---->®
The civilized man sleeps behind locked doors in the city while the naked savage sleeps (with a knife) in a open hut in the jungle.

The best known stain for any type of bone is potassium permaginate.

We have been using it on our stag for about 50 years or so.

It is available for sale for $18.95 per pound.

If you would like some, let me know I can be contacted at rcchopra@uai.org

Check out www.knifesupplies.com & www.uai.org for other knifemaking materials.

Regards,

Ric

Ric-
I've got the PP, just a couple of questions tho:
What percent solution do you make up?
After soaking, does the bone/antler need to be neutralized and a sealer applied (I know what it does to hands ;-0 )?
Jensenfarm

I have used the tea myself and it works, If you want it darker use the dye or polish, then seal with Gap Filling Cyanoacrylate (super glue) AFTER the initial polish. The initial polishing will take out most of the excess stain or dye out of the pores of the antler, and the glue will seal the pores enough to keep the buffing compound from creating a gray apperance on the antler. Doing it this way will leave you with a polished finish that you can get a very good reflection on.

------------------
Curtis Wilson -
Wilson's Custom Knives, Engraving, and Scrimshaw

Harry:

You will want to put about 1 tablespoon per 1/4 of a gallon of water. And experiment with it from there. A lot will depend on hor hard or soft your water is. Don't forget how oily or dense the bone is too.

Stay Sharp.

Ric

Back