Deer rifle recommendation

alright guys. i took the plunge. i happened to be near to a gun shop that i know has a good selection of used guns. so, i stopped in. they had a used Tikka M695 in 270 Win with a nice Burress scope mounted on it. it was in immaculate shape. looked brand new. i have already read up on those Tikka M695's and everyone seems to love them. the whole setup was $599 (scope itself would probably be $300). asked the dude if they did layaway. and bingo, took that thing off the shelf.

pretty happy about the deal. looking forward to paying it off so i can take it to the range.

Sounds like a good deal, let us know how you like it when you pick it up.

Sounds like a great deal. You certainly can't say anything bad about that setup.

If you're not handloading, buy 3 or 4 boxes of different [ Remington, Federal, Winchester, etc.] 130 gr. loads. Sight your gun 3" high at 100 yds then go for the ammo that gives the tightest group. Once satisfied you should be 3" high at 100 yds, dead on at approx 225 yds, 3" low at 300 yds, and approx 7 '' low [put it on the top of his back] at 400 yds. I prefer an '06 but have had much success with a .270 using this formula. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your deer this Fall. Good Luck.

Congrats - that sounds like a good deal!

best

mqqn

A little late to this conversation, but sounds like you made a good buy. Most all the guns discussed I have owned or shot over the years. I am currently building a new deer gun based on a 1917 in .30-'06. I never was a fan of .270, I either went 6mm, .257Bob, or '06 and up. I like the 788's and have owned 11 different ones and still have two. I really don't like them in the bigger calibers because of the rear locking lug design, if headspace goes it costs more than the gun is worth to fix.

Bottom line is for a deer gun there are only 3 calibers I think should be considered. 30-30, .270 and .30-06. If you are hours away from home, got camp set up and are getting things ready only to realize you forgot your ammo box, those three are highly likely to be found anywhere. WalMart to mom and pop hardware stores all carry it.

Waiting for your range report

-Xander

Back