Deet?

You mean like bug spray? G-10 is supposed to be "chemical resistant," (I'm not sure what the limitations on that are), but I'm not sure about FRN.

Are FRN and G-10 equally resistant to deet?

Good question. I do know for a fact that G10 will not discolor if exposed to kerosene or bleach. I once dropped my Dodo into the toilet and, after retrieving it, soaked the knife in bleach, with no ill effect whatsoever. I strongly suspect it will be resistant to Deet.

Actually, all my knives with G10 handles look practically new, after years of use. Can't say the same for FRN, though it wouldn't surprise me if it has similar properties in terms of chemical resistance, since both G10 and FRN have a good bit of fiberglass in them.

G-10 doesn't discolor or show any ill effects from DEET. My wife carries a G-10 Cara Cara when she goes in the woods, and believe me she gets sprayed up with DEET for protection from the bugs. A lot has ended up on the knife's handles with no problem. I can't comment on FRN, sorry.

I wouldn't worry about anything affecting FRN. My FRN knives have been exposed to (read dropped in) a number of rather harsh industrial chemicals with no noticable effect. If it doesn't dissolve flesh, it won't hurt FRN. If it does dissolve flesh, it probably still won't hurt FRN.

Fiberglass is virtually indestructible. As for nylon, it seems to me a lot of outer wear and other gear used by hikers, climbers, fishermen, and campers is made from it. So I would imagine any insect repellent would be tested pretty thoroughly for compatibility with it.

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website - - - - - - A Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting - - - - - - Kiwimania
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
Spyderco Collector # 043 - - WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twsited up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

OK,
you made me curious.
So I grabbed my Native with FRN scales, the bottle of 100% DEET (from "Ben's", I've used for 20 years) and put a large drop of the DEET on the unsuspecting Native.
Put the timer on 10 minutes.... tic, tic, tic .......

Apprehensively wiped off the DEET and looked .......................

NOTHING! Not even a mark, no smearing or anything. I'd feel 100% safe using DEET around a FRN handled Spyderco knife.
But don't rub it in your eyes or ingest it!

I'd feel 100% safe using DEET around a FRN handled Spyderco knife.
But don't rub it in your eyes or ingest it!

Don't worry, I would never rub my eyes with a Spyderco knife, or eat one, for that matter!

Thanks for the good science. We need more of that around here!

Back