Defence against throwing knives?

The best defence i have for this type of attack is putting my mother in law in front of me.:eek:

blade5160 said:
The best defence i have for this type of attack is putting my mother in law in front of me.:eek:

Well you thought of it first . Maybe mine could watch your back ? No , No I wouldn,t turn my back on her . L:O:L

Hi All

Actually these days I would not be surprised to hear of someone being attacked with throwing knives on the news. Shoot there was a guy with a samurai sword so why not knives.

Many of todays youth get very caught up in movies like Blade or they believe that by playing d and d too much they think they have special powers.

Also it is easier to get knives for a person then it is to get guns.

Now on to defense. We all know that a conventionally thrown knife spins as it is thrown. so really all you have to do to avoid the point is step back or forward a bit to throw off the spin (as long as the thrower is right the first time of course) But if they are using large throwers it will still hurt.

Like Miyagi said "best block, no be there"

This reminds me of an old comic book I was reading the other day named Armor. It was sci-fi and it spoke of using throwing weapons in multiples. Like throwing 4 stars at once. I think that would be tough to deal with.

Just sharing folks

Knifesmith

My concern would be more in the line of how to avoid a return visit from a poorly thrown knife that has hit something springy with it's handle.

Tim-Gabz said:
My concern would be more in the line of how to avoid a return visit from a poorly thrown knife that has hit something springy with it's handle.
This is actually a brilliant observation, and let's think about this for a second.

What's the likelihood that you will throw a knife and have it come back right at you? My guess, if you've been throwing for longer than a few weeks, is 100%. We've *all* got stories like this.

What's the likelihood that someone will throw a knife at you, and you need to dodge out of the way? I'd say fairly slim. I'd be more worried about someone throwing something else at me than a knife, like a glass bottle, rock, billiard ball, can of mushroom soup....

Okay, given that, what should I worry about more? Someone throwing a knife at me (slightly possible), or my own knife taking a bad bounce back (very common)?

Case closed.

as was mentioned early in the thread, the knife CANNOT respond to you, so approach it like an over thrown punch and move off line, sinc ethe knife can essentially only move in a straight line horizontally speaking

Nice thread. Unfortunately, defense is based on an assumption that the person is good at throwing the knife. If so - the person is aiming center mass (as is trained with firearms). So...strategy - is to move center mass just before release - and that would probably be helpful against a talented knife thrower. (forward/backward and to the side) However - against someone that is trying for...a lucky shot - well - you may move into the path.

Okay - that wasn't too helpful. Pull out the gun - shoot them - and thank them for taking a knife to a gun fight......

People throw knives on the street . . . doesn't happen often, and almost never with throwing knives, but it happens. People are idiots, add chemicals or alcohol, piss them off, and they might just throw a lockblade or sheath knife in your direction. Often, they actually hit the person they're aiming at. Fortunately, it is seldom with the point. I recall reading a report of some dirtbag in Binghamton who died after another dirtbag threw a knife at him from over 15 feet away. I'm fairly certain that the thrower had no skill -- he just happened to sink the point into a vital area by dumb luck.

Respond to a thrown knife the same way you'd respond to a thrown bottle, brick, or billiard ball. Get out of the way, or grab a trash can lid or briefcase to use as a shield.

If it's a Moran, make sure it hits you. You don't want that thing hitting the ground and getting scratches all over it. Plus, it will more than pay for itself after the medical bills and continue to go up in value.

Simple!!! ..... Learn to lay bricks..real fast!!!!

The ultimate self defense?

I had to dodge some shuriken flying back at me yesterday during practice, keep your focus and a stance that allows you to move or weave quickly. Also keep your eye on the projectile. Still that is nothing like evading a direct hit/no turn throw, you are better off avoiding situations that could end up like that than thinking there is a good way to evade those types of throws.

Also no good thrower is going to throw all their weapons, they are likely to retain at least one.

what about if you throw your knife at them , miss , and they throw it right back at you?

how about throwing a circular saw blade? i reckon that would be fun if you didn`t cut your hand open in the process

SIRGALANT said:
what about if you throw your knife at them , miss , and they throw it right back at you?
Incidentally, does anyone have any evidence of this ever happening, anywhere?

I've heard this dire warning a few times, but wonder if it's every really happened in the last 100 years.

First, I think it's rare to throw a knife at a person to begin with--and then to have him pick it up, judge the distance, and throw it back?

Hmmmm. I'm not dumping on SirGalant--it's the standard warning. It's just the first time I've stopped to think about this as a tactical risk.

SIRGALANT said:
how about throwing a circular saw blade? i reckon that would be fun if you didn`t cut your hand open in the process
This depends on the saw blade. The smaller the bits on the cutting edge, the less likely it is to stick. You need very exaggerated teeth, and need to ensure you're throwing it so that it spins in the direction the teeth bite.

Otherwise, you'll find it bouncing back or off at odd angles on most throws.

Thank god for black and decker . L:O:L

In this movie the guy throws a circular saw blade . What movie was it . Don,t worry if you don,t remember it wasn,t that good a movie and I don,t remember the name myself .

The blade throwing was the high point of the movie .

Kevin the grey said:
Thank god for black and decker . L:O:L

In this movie the guy throws a circular saw blade . What movie was it . Don,t worry if you don,t remember it wasn,t that good a movie and I don,t remember the name myself .

The blade throwing was the high point of the movie .
Commando? Octopussy? The Temple of Doom?

I suggest these because, in addition to using circular weapons in them, these three are the only movies I've ever seen. ;)

I remember an eppisode of David Letterman a number of years back when they were doing "Dangerous Toys".

One guy had "Fisher Price's My First Saw Blade Shooter". As I recall it was 2 or 3 feet long and would shoot a saw blade out shuriken style, and it stuck into a piece of ply wood.

I wanted one then, I want one now.

Back