Defensive or Offensive practicality ???

What are the REAL defensive or Offensive possibilitys of incapacitating someone using a thrown knife,dart,or star.

Has anyone ever heard of anyone suscessfully defending themselves with a thrown knife. I throw hawks and Know that would probbaly do the job. However a knife???? would there be enough force to do much damage once it hit and had to go through clothing tissue ect. ??

Get a bowie pattern knife in the one lb. weight class, practice until you can make it stick. The penetration and force generated by one of these is frighteningly awsome. I'm sure that one of these knives can fully penetrate a clothed person. There is not much differance between a one lb. 'hawk or a one l lb. knife, except that the knife penetrates a log end much further than a 'hawk. Both would be formidable, and I just couldn't imagine the destruction that either could wreak on a human. Then,,, there's a competition double-bit throwing axe... WOW!

back in the 1950's there was a spree/serial killer who killed a woman with a hunting knife. Most of his murders were done with fire arms but he had taken this particular lady hostage in a home and she was running down the hall.. he threw the knife into her back and killed her in that manner.

A thrown knife has an amazing amount of power behind it, much more than your strongest thrust. I could stick my ka-bar into my plywood target with a strong thrust.. a strong throw put the blade 2in through the 3/4in plywood target. On a human, this would probably go through the ribs and up to the hilt of the knife unless it hit the spine or other large bone. A knife would also be more likely to penetrate a ballistic/bullet-proof vest in this manner than even a handgun.. Its just a matter of hitting the target. If you miss, the bad guy has your weapon

If you can afford it or don't mind beating up the BBQ meat before the picnic then try the following:

Get a side of ribs, beef, pork etc. and wrap it with some light leather (old buckskin or a jacket from Salvation Army). Hang it on the target with the ribs in a horizontal orientation. Throw at it and check out the results.

You may be surprised.

human are very good at catching deflecting nad dodging thrown objects so it would be harder than a stationary object, on te other hand I have thrown a light hibben thrower 40 feet and stuck it to the hilt in a deer target in the hear area and was able to get a very tight spread with my 3 knives. doing better than my bowhunting companions on occasion

Back