Definition of one-off

Well...I've done the search thing and I'm still not sure exactly what the definition is of one-off.

Is a one-off more custom than a non-one-off? Is it less custom? Is it even custom at all? Is it more (or less) handmade? My head's a spinin'.

Sorry to ask what is probably a stupid question.

A slight departure from the norm, unlikely to be repeated or produced in any substantial numbers.

A Tom Mayo TNT without holes might be considered a one-off design.

I have two different terms that I use. The first is one-off, which to me means an established model that has been customized in a way that will only be done once. The second is one-of which is not derived from an established model. There will only be one of this overall design made, period.

In my language "one off" means that I will NEVER do another like that one again.....usually because it was too darn difficult or time consuming to do again.

You can see a bunch of "one of's" at Virgil England's new site.

His work is nothing short of inspiring to a collector or a maker. His Site
(warning: don't click on that link unless you have at least 1/2 hour to burn :D.)

In my opinion it is either one of a kind because the maker decided so or this was agreed between maker and customer at the time of the order or because for some reason, that given model was never repeated.
Of course, to some this means a different handle material or blade finish while for others, a fully different design.

Originally posted by george tichbourne
In my language "one off" means that I will NEVER do another like that one again.....usually because it was too darn difficult or time consuming to do again.

Thats my view too !

I reckon new makers make a lot of one-offs - while trying to gauge what they prefer doing and discovering that not every challenge thrown to them by an adventurous customer is necessarily up their alley.

From a collector point of view - one-offs can be great due to the unique nature of the piece, but there is the assumption that the piece is such a departure from the maker's repertoire that it stands alone. Of course, each knife made by a custom maker is different but think it becomes misleading to call each knife made "one-offs" simply because the knives have a recognisable lineage from somewhere in the maker's range.

The danger of calling a knife a one-off, is that even if the design was a complete bast@#$ to make and it traumatised the maker !!

:barf: that said maker, might want to do it again some time down the line.

A year ago, I made a hunter with a index finger hole which I swore I'd never do again, but now, I'm considering making another one (feeling up to the challenge, have tooling, more experience etc. ) I've held back only because I told the customer that their knife was a one-off. Jason.

Back