DEK1 vs Field Knife

The DEK and FK are very different knives. They may have a somewhat similar size but they handle completely different, carry different and fill different roles IMO even though some uses could overlap.

As stated the handle is where I found the biggest difference, not only in feel but in what I can do well with each. I have carried an EDC2 since I got my first and the DEK is the only knife that has found it's way onto my belt for a daily all purpose carry since. To me is more closely resembles the EDC than the FK.

The FK is a great camp knife and did fairly well when I used it a bit during hunting season although I prefer a smaller knife.

The DEK would be a great knife in a last resort defense tool with the added length and blade design and it is nimble enough for everyday uses without being too large, and has the reliability I've come totrust in from CPK. I wouldn't be afraid to push it in a pinch but I wouldn't reach for it to process wood if I had the choice.

I could see using them for similar tasks at times but for anyone thinking they may be to close to one another (admittedly I wondered myself before I got my DEK) they are VERY different knives.

Both are well worth while for me. If I was not an outdoorsman I might lean towards the DEK ... if I did not carry a fixed blade daily or wanted a harder use knife I might chose an FK model. I find great uses for each.

Just one guys opinion ... for what it's worth. If you're on the fence ... you owe it to yourself to get the DEK in hand for yourself.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

I like the idea that DEK1 has a thinner blade than FK. My intended use for it is hiking and food prep at camp. Hence, I ordered one in AEBL.

I have no plans to baton with it as I usually carry more than one knife for camping. I m a knifenut. I carry at least 3 knives when I am out in the woods LOL I trust you guys will carry the same if not more too. If I ever need to baton with it, I know it is able to do the job. It will also mean I might be in serious trouble.

Last edited:
Being from South Louisiana the climate down here is very wet / humid, so keeping a knife dry is almost impossible. Because of that I picked up a DEK1 in AEBL, which I think will be perfect for poking curious little gators if they get too close ( I say this tongue in cheek...)... I don't plan to baton with it unless it was an emergency situation. I am just wondering if all the statements stay true if you are using a AEBL version over the Delta 3V?

Being from South Louisiana the climate down here is very wet / humid, so keeping a knife dry is almost impossible. Because of that I picked up a DEK1 in AEBL, which I think will be perfect for poking curious little gators if they get too close ( I say this tongue in cheek...)... I don't plan to baton with it unless it was an emergency situation. I am just wondering if all the statements stay true if you are using a AEBL version over the Delta 3V?

AEBL is durable compared to other stainless steels, but is not in the same league as 3V. It won't just snap off if you baton with it, but I wouldn't wail on it either.

XtianAus XtianAus ,

Here you go bud, sorry it took a bit longer than promised. I have a cheap and crappy Chinese made set of clippers from Amazon. I hope that this answers your curiosity and posting in here in case there are some more fence sitters:

KTW1FYa.jpg

The 3mm discrepancy between the EDCs is just probably me because I goofed up the first measurement as noted by crossing out the erroneous reading. The fraction shown in inches are rounded off by the device used!

Samples used:

9fUWCrM.jpg

Gratuitous leather & steel glamor shot:

8oFFF7T.jpg

I'm not sure which nerd exactly you're referring to but I do know there are some very nice and helpful useful nerds participating in this knife industry that have a great deal of useful and practical knowledge but sometimes lack a little bit of direct real experience. I have seen some numbers for AEBL that are very impressive but that is not why I chose AEBL. In reality, AEBL is not as tough as some of those numbers would suggest however the edge stability/durability in real-world use is as good as optimized 3V. Given that it is also easy to sharpen and has fairly good corrosion resistance it is a fantastic steel, but don't be misled by toughness numbers you may have seen in a chart somewhere, AEBL is not as tough as some of those charts would seem to indicate.

New to the forum, came across the rave reviews for Carothers knives, now want one, and thus ended up on the forum. Wealth of information!

I’m really interested in the FK2 and DEK1 - the question I haven’t quite answered is which is better for hunting applications (skinning, prep, etc.). The slightly smaller size of the DEK seems to favor this use, but curious to hear from those who have used either for this purpose. Thanks in advance. Coleton

Joe's done me a solid or two, and it's funny reading your post just now as I've recently decided to gift Joe a DEK1
I think he'll appreciate the nuances baked into the design concept, given his keen interest in weapons. He's also a hunter, and DEK1 is also intended for that kind of use, (hence the lanyard dock)
I've never edited any video stuff, but Joe has and maybe he'll give me some advice

Back