Delam bubble in middle of billet?

Jason Fry

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've done about 20 billets of Damascus, with no major failures once I got the process figured out. I had something new happen, where an apparent bubble popped up in the middle of the face of the billet, near the end of the process. We were ate 52 layers, and the billet was about 2" wide, 12" long, and 3/8" thick when the bubble formed. It was in the middle of the billet on the flat face.

I had a guy there who had done most of the work on this one. I suspect he was doing something subtly different than my usual process.

What makes these mid-billet bubbles?

Either way, I helped him lay out a workaround to salvage the billet by grinding out the bubble and making that part of the billet into the tips of two blades, with the tangs at the outer ends.

Take a small drill bit and drill until it hits the bad spot and reflux to reweld.

When I get a bad spot like that I cut the billet in half through the delam, stack, and reweld. Now you have a clean 104 layer billet. If unsure about other possible issues, put a piece of 15N20 in the middle and make damascus sided san-mai.

Interesting. Restack is a good idea. We were having a few issues with the top die alignment, as well as the guy being inexperienced with the hammer.

Back