Delay between pre-quench and quench with AEB-L

I was wondering if there were any precautions I need to take if I'm heat treating a batch of AEB-L and planning on doing the pre-quench (as advised by DevinT/Hoss) at 1725F but then waiting until the next day to do the quench, sub-zero, and tempering? Will the blades need a temper between? Is this advisable at all? I have a 120v Evenheat KH418 and it can take a while to heat up and soak so it'd be nice to separate it into a pre-quench day, then go get dry ice the next day and start ramping the oven for the quench. I'd appreciate any insight.

-Jason

The only danger would be quench stresses leading to potential cracking. Maybe do a snap temper after the pre-quench.

The only danger would be quench stresses leading to potential cracking. Maybe do a snap temper after the pre-quench.

You think that would still give the advantage of smaller grain with pre-quench on day 1, and next day do the final quench and dry ice? If so, that would be convenient for those folks like me who have only 1 oven.

Ken H>

You think that would still give the advantage of smaller grain with pre-quench on day 1, and next day do the final quench and dry ice? If so, that would be convenient for those folks like me who have only 1 oven.

Ken H>
I can’t think of a reason why not.

Seems like last I read from Hoss he suggested a 1950 heat treat with dry ice quench and no need for pre quench. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I don’t remember suggesting that, I did heat treat some charpy coupons with no prequench, 1950+cryo though.

Hoss

Thank you Larrin and DevinT for the follow up. I'll redo my HT notes for AEB-L to include the ability to pre-quench one day and final quench next day.

Ken H>

Yeah, the ability to stretch it out over two days makes things much easier with the single kiln and will (hopefully) keep me from staying up past midnight futzing around with dry ice and acetone. Thanks a bunch Larrin and DevinT!

Do we get to hear the full recipe and why it differs from the standard heat treatment?

Skillgannon, I'm not sure if this is in reference to my particular heat treat or not, but I'm following DevinT's heat treat procedure as laid out here. The only difference in the recipe is that I'd like to hold off to do the final quench at 1950 until the next day so will be doing a snap temper immediately following the pre-quench.

The following is from the post linked to above about Hoss's (DevinT) heat treat for using 2 ovens. The info is spread out thru the total thread and might be hard to dig out. I've put together what I think is a decent summation for single oven use. I think Devin has approved the following as correct. PLEASE Devin (and other folks) if there are errors, please correct.
Ken H>

This is DevinT's heat treat info for AEB-L
Hoss highly recommend making 5 test coupons, heat the first one to 1900⁰F and plate quench, second to 1925⁰F, third one to 1950⁰F, 1975⁰F, 2000⁰F. This will give you a starting place for what temperature to use. Repeat this test with 5 new test coupons except do a sub-zero (freezer) or Dry Ice quench after the plate quench. With each set of test coupons measure the HRC and you should find a peak hardness at a specific temperature for your furnace.

It is also good to break each of the test coupons and see grain size and toughness differences. All furnaces are different, each will have a different soak time and or temperature required, even two ovens of the same make can be different.

After determining correct temperature to use, then use below.

Soak blade at 1725ºF for 20 minutes, plate quench – this is called the “Pre-Quench”.

(Hoss and Larrin say it’s ok to wait until next day for 2nd step)
Second quench with only one oven set at 1950-2000⁰F (depending on results of test above). Place blade in oven and soak (austenitze) for 8 minutes

Dry ice quench right after plate quench, continuous cool down. With an extended cryo (LN) there will be some nano sized carbides that precipitate, slightly better wear resistance with a slight decrease in toughness. At this point expect 62 to 63 Rc.

Temper twice, first temper for 1 hour at 350F, 2nd temper for 2 hours – choose temperature based on Rc test prior to temper. Tempering at 350F doesn’t change Rc much at all. Each 25F increase in temper temp seems to drop 1 Rc point. Tempering at 375F seems to drop from 62 to 63 Rc to 61 to 62 Rc, and moving to 400F would expect to drop another point. This tempering info is a place that might need correcting (KenH)

Final Rc post temper should be 60 to 61 Rc for best kitchen use. (some folks are reporting a Rc of 62 works good for a kitchen slicer)

DevinT says: For HT'ing without dry ice, Lower the quench temp to 1925⁰F, (1950⁰F in my oven) keep the soak time at temp to ten minutes, quench in oil or plate quench, faster is better, put it in your freezer (-5ºF) right after the quench, this will keep the RA down. Temper at 325-350ºF.

Back