• STOP USING PAYPAL FRIENDS & FAMILY
    Please, help us prevent you getting ripped off because someone got their account compromised by reusing their email & password. Read the new best practices for using the Exchange FAQ page.

Delica...Japan?

I thought all Spydercos were made in Golden, CO and only the byrd line was made overseas. What is Seki City?

Seki is in Japan. Many Spyderco's are made outside our borders. Italy (Volpe) is another production location. There were other countries of manufacture before (Germany and Tawain), and probably will be again.

no worries, Seki City is the ultimate knife-making capital city in the world :thumbup:

.........except for Golden, Colorado, USA. :)

Seki City, Japan has a long history of sword and knife crafting. There are
numerous products made there for a variety of companies. As far as I know
the quality that comes out of there tends to be fairly good.

Also ZDP189 is also Japanese steel. Japanese Spyderco as good as american and Callipso Jr. ZDP189 made in Japan is sharpest knife out of box I ever see.

Also I think Japanese matallurgists pay more attention to knifemakers than american and so produce better steels for cuttlery like ZDP-189 or SRS-15 os YXR7 also matrix high speed steels. I hope sooner or later Spyderco brings them to US market with reasonable prices also as they did with ZDP-189.

I saw some made in Japan knifes which was not very good, but Spyderco ether chooses the best like G-Sakai or manage to maintin quality everywhere.

Thanks, Vassili.

The early Spyderco knives were all made for them in Japan. It was almost ten years before the first US made one appeared. Over the years, Spyderco has had knives made in other countries as well. The Carbon Fiber Michael Walker was made in Switzerland. The original titanium version of the Peter Herbst was made in Germany. The Salsa was made in Taiwan, and the current "S" is made there as well. The Volpe, and the four soon-to-be-released Hossom fixed blades, are made in Italy.

Seki-City in Japan has a blade-making history that predates the founding of the United States by several hundred years. There are a lot of great knives produced there, and I believe the first American companies to import quality knives from there were probably Kershaw and Al Mar. I believe Al Mar helped introduce Sal to the Seki makers to manufacture his original designs.

I have seen and owned some Japanese-made knives that were poorly-made, but most of those are fairly old (1970s), no-name novelty-type knives (i.e., faux "switchblade"-shaped knives). But I've seen poor knives from almost every other nation known for making quality knives, too (Germany, Italy, England, Taiwan, and, yes, even the U.S.). Of course, any time there is mass-production, you can also get a lemon here and there, regardless of its origin or company.

I like a lot of the Japanese steels, particularly VG-10. A lot of people still think that if a knife is made outside of the U.S., especially from Asia, that alone makes it inferior. I can't speak for China-made knives, as I don't own any; but many of the Japanese makers produce some of the finest knives anywhere in the world.
Jim

Back