Delica, Merlin, ProGrip?

I like Spyderco (can you tell? :) All three come in Zytel handles, tip up carry, can't really figure out which would be best for small folder SD carry. Seems all three could release a hold, slash and thrust (slightly less for Merlin).Don't really know the physics of the blade shapes... any advice? Thanks (ps, I use a small Wharncliffe for FB, this is for different circumstances)

Delica is the one, Dave. If your intention is EDC in city, given your profession I would go with the blue handle and the lpain edged blade, unless you wanna hit thru those winter coats, then get the serrations.

P

I've never handled a Merlin.

My favorite Delica is the old all-plastic clip style, which works well clipped to sweats or other thick cloth, but may come out of thin dress material.

The Pro-Grip, with its rubber backing under the plastic clip, will stay secure in the thinnest material, but may be too "grippy" and thus slow, in the thicker stuff. The Pro-Grip is also made of thicker steel than the Delica, and it is VERY robust; undoubtedly one of the most robust pocketknives made. The rubber patch on the handle will aid in grip in any slick situations, too.

The Delica should be fine for any reasonable small knife task, though. Stay away from the "1998" models, which do not have a very well designed clip attachment to the FRN. The newest metal clip models have a raised "fence" around the clip square indentation for superior attachment which prevents swiveling (and damage to your FRN).

As for the last difference, blade shape: do you like thin and pointy (Delica), for fine work, or thick and strong (Pro-Grip), in case you are tempted to do some light prying? Also, the Delica is more of a drop point style, while the Pro-Grip gives you a "mini Wegner" skinning type blade shape.

And yes, a new plain edge blue Delica may be better for "sheeple-infested" environments.

Karl

I had originally purchased a Delica for myself (and I really like it alot) but it is alittle too small for my hand, so I gave it to my wife and she loves it.
Then, after trying many different knives, I now carry the VG-10 Endura and it is awesome!
Sometimes I wish it had a stronger handle material (like dual metal liners), but the lightweight has spoiled me--I don't want to carry a heavier blade.

Good luck,
Allen.

i would prefer the lil temperance or a gunting for a small spydie folder myself FWIW..........better desin/lock in my opinion.

g

I rarely ever make it over to this forum, and I think this is my first post here. I know nearly nothing about knife work for self defence, but I would suggest the delica for one reason- it has a training drone. If you seriously want to carry a knife for SD, I would go for one that offered a training drone for hands on, real time practice. Practice with a specific model would outweigh untrained use of any one specific blade shape.

Thank you to everyone who posted above. You all raised some excellent points to consider, that's why I like this Forum so much! (Parker, call me this month.)

Back