1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Delta Foxtrot Part II

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by B Griffin, Jun 10, 2010.

1. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    I had a few minutes to take the Delta Foxtrot out into the woods out behind the house today while I was cooling off from the trip downtown for a photo shoot. There are storms moving in and the heat down there was something else. I wanted to check the knife out for durability and edge retention.

The ergonomics of the handle and swelled pommel are great for holding the handle in a rearward three-finger grip.

[​IMG]

This is great and made it possible to do a better job at chopping than most five inch blades I have. I chopped through a four inch section of seasoned Black Walnut. It did take a few minutes but not as long as I expected. I wanted a good bit of repeated striking the edge into the seasoned hardwood to see if the edge was as durable as it is sharp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then using one section as a baton I split the other.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then switching to a smaller piece I split the other section

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  2. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    After the splitting the knife is still just fine with no ill effects at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still has a great edge to work with.

[​IMG]

Had absolutely no trouble whittling fatwood into slivers thin enough to easily take a spark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found it easy to throw great sparks using the sharply squared spine with no discernible effects on the spine afterward.

[​IMG]

The knife is definitely as tough as it looks and the edge is very durable and holding up very well. The more I use this knife the more I fall in love with it. I'll say it again Dylan, awesome job bro, very well done!

3. wildmike

wildmike

Nov 17, 2007
    Great review Mist! Though I wouldn't choose a 5" blade for chopping.

4. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Thanks Mike. No...I wouldn't choose a 5" knife for chopping either but it's nice to know the capability is there if really needed. Mainly I wanted to check the durability of the edge and thought a well seasoned Black Walnut limb four inches in diameter would be a good start :)

5. bigcountry1315

bigcountry1315

Aug 3, 2009
    Brian another great follow up on your Delta Foxtrot.You have me liking it more.the look and fubction look fantastic!

Mike

6. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Thanks Mike. The more I use this knife the more impressed with it I become and the more I love it.

7. Fletcher Knives

Fletcher Knives STEEL BREATHING BLADE MAESTRO Moderator

Aug 30, 2007
    I love the beating you're giving that knife. :D Eventually I'm going to do a little destruction on one of these and really find out when it gives up the ghost.

8. vector001

vector001

Aug 4, 2007
    beautiful, smart blade.

it reminds me a lot of my Swenson Sabretooth by Luke Swenson.

vec

9. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Thanks man, glad you're enjoying the show, I know I am :)

That's cool, I wouldn't mind seeing it...I just don't do destruction tests...or at least not intentional ones :D

10. DennisStrickland

DennisStrickland Banned BANNED

Jun 24, 2009
    as usual great pics & great workout. thanks man

11. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Thanks Dennis, glad you enjoyed the post.

12. TheGame

TheGame

Sep 24, 2008
    I love it when a knife is placed 'out of the comfort zone' so to speak. (Chopping with a 5 inch blade) Did well for only a 5 inch blade, I'd say. Thanks for sharing the results :thumbup:

13. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Thanks, I knew it wasn't meant to be a chopper and I mainly wanted to test the durability of the edge, and then learned that it chopped better than I expected it to. I love pleasant surprises :D

14. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Destruction tests teach you very little about a knife, and are dangerous to the tester. Might make a catchy thread for folks to salivate over. While you're attempting to send yourself to the emergency room, hammer it into the tree and give it that dumbass Mors test. That way, if it breaks and cuts your great Saphrenous vein, you won't live long enough to suffer.

I'd much rather see us set up a cutting comp type test, and do some testing that way. I think you learn a lot more from those, have lots more fun, get better threads, and don't loose a knife.

Wise man. The more I read, the more I like your style. These threads are very well written, and the process is great!

15. GRIM 62

GRIM 62

Mar 29, 2009
    Another superb review mist,looks like an excellent woods blade !

16. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    Love your pics and reviews buddy ! Looks like you have truly found a winner there, great knife !!!;):thumbup:

17. mymindisamob

mymindisamob

Feb 1, 2005
    Very Cool! Thanks for sharing.

18. Fletcher Knives

Fletcher Knives STEEL BREATHING BLADE MAESTRO Moderator

Aug 30, 2007
    Andy's right next to me and I told him that he doesn't sh#t and that I would post that.

Whether he does or not doesn't matter. I say he's full of crap so that's the way it is.

He's is right though. Destruction testing doesn't tell you a whole lot. A serious of wicked cutting tests... borderline destruction, would tell us a lot more. I think we'll have to do that.

19. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Yeah...personally I've seen enough injuries to last me on into the next plane of existence :thumbup:.

Thanks Andy, I really appreciate the compliment. I do like to work a knife, and work it hard. But I'd much rather know everything it will do than try to find the one thing it won't.

20. caine

caine

Nov 9, 2003
    Awesome looking knife. I like it alot