Dempsey Knives - Patriot

Here is the "Patriot", a new piece inspired by the Sept 11th tragedy. I have been touched by the renewed sense of patriotism we all have expierenced in this great country, hence the knife and the name. I brought it out in public at the Florida Knifemaker Show last October, and it has been well received. Enjoy!

The knife spec's are;

-1095 Carbon Steel 3/16" Thick
-6 1/4" Blade Length / 12 1/4" oal
-Diffential Heat Treat / Triple Temper
-Dual Hollow Saber Ground / 3" Sharpened Upper Edge
-3" of Sharpened / Thicker edge in front of integral guard for chopping / hacking etc
-Black Canvas Micarta Slabs / (3) Stainless Hidden Screws
-Lanyard Hole
-OD Green Moly / Teflon Baked-On Coating from Brownells

Regards,
David Dempsey

email: dempsey@dempseyknives.com
web: www.dempseyknives.com

Attachments

• patriot.jpg
    patriot.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 337
Now that is a tactical looking knife. I have just been going through a thread on tactical knives on the Custom Knife forum and this looks like it would fit the definition perfectly.

I really like that alot. I see a few makers using an OD green coating, and I think it looks great with the black handle scales. I think any soldier would be proud to carry that knife. I wouldn't mind taking it for a walk in the woods myself! Nice work.

Very nice indeed!

I have used the OD and the black Moly teflon coat on my IPSC gun and wondered about using it on knives. How well does it hold up?

Dean

Hey DCT,

It seems to hold up real well, although a real gouge type scrape will penetrate the surface. Since the coating is baked on, the surface pores of the blade really seem to open up and very thin, hard, slick coating exists that is really tough. Maybe you are aware of what I'm talking about since your using it on your IPSC. It offers a measure of corrosion protection to the carbon steel blade, it does not eliminate the need for maintenace. The cutting edge is still exposed and has to be protected / maintained as with any carbon steel. I have many knife savy customers, who are up to speed on blade steel choices, including all the super stainless varieties, and still choose carbon steel. I'm working with a SWAT org in So. Carolina on a team knife, and as a team they chose 1095 carbon steel over everthing offered and available. Their comment was "Equip maintenace is not an issue"!

Thanks for the nice comment and interest.

David

David,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I have noticed on my Para P-14 that the finish does seem to chip a bit at the sharp edges (to be expected from a surface finish) but it handles holster wear quite well. Overall I am very impressed with it (3000+ rnds later)

Since I have some left over I will give it a try. This finish has the advantage that it can be reapplied quite easily and it leaves a very even coating.

I agree with your 1095 comments. Stainless is nice for those of us who tend to be less proactive than they should be in the care and maintenace department.

Good luck with the SWAT project. I hope you post the pictures of the results. This one is certainly impressive.

Best Regards
Dean

I really like it alot also. I like the guards and blade shape. The whole thing appeals to me. Did I miss the price? Are those now offered Mr. Dempsey?

Thanks for the comments and interest guys.

Hey Miketm, the Patriot is one of the staples of my blade offerings, so just shoot me an email and I will provide you with all the info. I will also mention that it is now available in Crucibles S30V, .207" thick as well!

DCT, will do on the SWAT team knife. The prototype should be out of the shop very soon.

Regards,

David

email: dempsey@dempseyknives.com
web: www.dempseyknives.com

Back