Derespina Knives Kerambit

The Model 10 from Derespina Knives and Richard Derespina is a "production" knife, meaning it's not custom. Still, you'd be hard pressed to tell that from looking at it and handling it. This is a high-quality kerambit that somes with a nice Kydex IWB sheath. Handle scales are textured, contoured G10, from the look of them (the exact specs of the knife aren't listed on Richard's website, though pictures of the Model 10 are displayed). The blade steel is not specified on the knife itself, but the knife was wickedly sharp out of the box and holds an edge well.

derespina00.JPG

My Model 10 Kerambit rides very well in its Kydex sheath inside my waistband, where it is ready for a fast draw into a reverse grip. The belt loop rotates and thus will allow you to reposition the knife for comfort when sitting and/or moving, but it doesn't rotate so much as to be a problem (it doesn't shift out of place when worn). The draw is smooth and the friction fit inside the sheath is secure.

derespina03.JPG

This single piece of sharpened steel has a nice pair of grooves just rear of the blade. The finger ring is more than large enough for my index finger without being too large (I have large hands and fat, size-twelve-ring fingers). Handle scales are bolted in place with what appear to be Torx fasteners.

The knife spins well when performing the usual kerambit tricks, though I must admit it makes me more than a little nervous because of just how incredibly sharp it is. The whole knife just feels solid. Fit and finish are excellent throughout.

The blade tapers to an almost-needle tip and penetrated well in a variety of test cutting media, such as plastic, stacked cardboard, and old leather. It sliced like mad, even though the edge is only very subtlely curved if you really look at it closely.

derespina04.JPG

From a self-defense standpoint, this is a superb close-quarters blade in a very efficient, easily carried package. I have toted my Derespina Model 10 in my waistband often. You forget that it's there, once it's positioned correctly, but its cool heft is solidly reassuring when you do need to put your hand on it, for whatever reason. Lock-up in the sheath is positive with just a little bit of play while sheathed. If you don't like the IWB loop, you can always affix a TEK-LOK to the sheath (as shown here on the reverse side).

derespina06.JPG

I practiced drawing, slashing, spinning, and resheathing the Model 10 when I first got it, and I regularly practiced with it over many months of long-term testing. This is an excellent kerambit that deserves consideration and is worth the price charged for the quality.

If you are fond of kerambits, this is one that definitely deserves a close look.

More pictures are on my website, under reviews.

154CM? As far I know is AUS 10... But I don't think that is important, Model 10 is a great karambit .

I just got one in a trade awhile back. I don't know why the guy trded but this karambit is bad ass. and the carry system too. I CAN'T believe they sell for around 80. now i'm a firm believer in karambits in a tactical sence. I'll allways carr a regular blade but from now on a karambit will be there too. anyone handled the 5.11 karambits. cheper than an emerson and with better steel. I can put my own wave on it. Derespina has a myspace page and is a really nice guy, quick to give info and answer questions. when I have some funds i'll pick up one or more of his customs.

yes, the price is very good for us :) .BTW, what kind of wave you'll put on the CUB karambit?

Thanks Phil! Great review, I am flattered. Thanks as well to those who replied.
Sincerely,
Rich

Back