Dervish Knives Triton (sheath)

Hello all. We finally have come up with a carry system for the Triton that we like. Our prototypes went as follows: leather, Kydex, Kydex and Cordura, and finally came back to leather with a style system quite different from what we first envisioned.
tritonsheath1a.jpg

The sheath is 3 layers of 10 oz vegetable tanned moo shoulder. I wanted to facilitate both Bagwell-style frog carry and an adjustable belt loop. The frog incorporates the Dervish "whirl" logo, and the retention strap is removable via the hefty chicago screws. The belt loop system is adjustable, also using the same type of screws. You can also remove a carry element completely.

tritonsheath2a.jpg

We were trying to get a very stout and durable sheath, and I believe we succeeded. The only question is how does it look? Comments are very much appreciated.

tritonsheath6a.jpg

Thanks for looking!

You can see more pictures here (long load):
http://www.plan-a.org/dervish/triton.htm

x

Well as you posted earlier "wait until you see the sheaths", that is a great, tough looking sheath with style. Very nice (I think the Triton looks very good as well).

Thanks, Keith. My fiancee is in charge of the sheaths and she's very nervous about making them look professional. I think her work is top notch, but she feels very unsure about her stuff. Your encouragement helps!

We really need to hear constructive critisism though, everyone. Please don't be shy (we can take it!).

Thanks...!

http://www.plan-a.org/dervish/triton.htm

Marry the Woman !! I make a fair number of different leather sheaths, but I've never tried to do all that with just one sheath. In fact the idea of using chicago screws on a leather rig didn't occur to me -- until now ! I'm not wild about the dervish-frog (or is it a frog-dervish?)instead of a simple button, but the overall concept is great. Best new idea in leather carry I've seen in a long time. Maybe the thing I like best is that the blades are kind of busy for my taste, and this package just makes it all look so clean.
MtMike
:D

...and BTW, is this the same woman who carries a Wakazashi with the custom wooden sheath you made for her?? Marry the Woman !!
MtMike

P.S. (if it's a different woman,I was just funnin')

Great memory, Mike. Yep, that's the same girl. And yes, I am going to marry her (I'm a lucky guy).

Thanks for the compliments as well as the constructive critisism. Freinds and family are too nice when it comes to this kind of thing. The definitely won't tell you if they think your handiwork is crap.

John,
As you know, I'm extremely fond of the knife. As for the sheath - yeah, I like it too, but I will offer some constructive criticism per your request.

The sheath looks extremely tough. That's a good thing. But I think it does so partially at the expense of comfort and ease of carry. In other words, it seems just a bit bulky. Perhaps "boxy" is the word I'm looking for. Kind of like the older Volvo's that were so highly acclaimed for their safety ratings but never too high in the "sporty" department. Now, as long as I'm using cars to describe the sheath, I'll conclude by saying that I like rally cars - fast, tough, compact vehicles that can take you just about anywhere. How do you convert this sheath from a 80's era Volvo to a Subaru WRX? Well, I'd slim it down a bit towards the tip, and maybe consider shaving off some material by using slightly less hefty Chicago screws.

I hope you find these comments helpful, and please, take them in the spirit in which they're offered. As you already know, I will be one of the first owners of a Triton, and I will be thrilled with the sheath as you have it now. Only more so if it's a touch more sporty. After all, the knife looks like a fast, furious fighter, and I think the sheath should remain true to the spirit of the blade.

Best regards,
Wulf

Hey, leave my Volvo alone !! But to take the analogy further, I graduated from the trusty old "get the job done" Volvo when I retired from the Navy and moved to the mountains 8 years ago. The Volvo just wouldn't get it done in the winters of Colorado at 9000', and neither would a WRX. An Outback might if it had the ground clearance, but that's not what it was made for, so my ride of choice is a Jeep Cherokee. Just hit 190K and it's never left me in the drifts.
To me a sheath should be designed for the intended purpose, and for a fighter I don't look for sporty, I just want it to be ready when I am.
That's why they make black Fords and white Fords I guess,
MtMike:D

Hey Mike,

My outback does just fine up here in Vermont ;)

But you're absolutely right about one thing - no two people have the exact same needs or wants. Poor Kumdo is now charged with the daunting task of coming up with the design that most people would want. Right now I'd say he's probably pretty darn close.

Thanks to both of you for giving me such helpful feedback. Wulf, our first leather sheath design for the Triton was more shapely. What made me want to do something more "blocky" is the current condition of a leather sheath I did about a 1.5 years ago. That knife has been on many camping, backpacking and hunting trips and the sheath has gotten quite beat up. The sheath followed the shape on the bowie; curvy with a pointy tip. This picture is from when it was new:
whtrvrshth1a.jpg

Anyway, the tip is now splitting and coming apart. It's to the point that it's dangerous because you could concievably shove the bowie right trough the end. Yikes!

I wanted to address this as our main consideration with Dervish sheaths. We want them to be damn-near indestructible. I believe that it is possible, however, to get a more "sporty" look and still keep it rock-solid. For starters, the bowie sheath was made of 6 oz leather and the Triton's is 10 oz. Plus the welt is much more substantial.

"Poor Kumdo" indeed! Seriously, thanks for all the input. This stuff is golden. There is no way to accomodate everyone's tastes and needs, but hopefully we can carve out our own nitch in a market so full of amazing work.

Hmmm... maybe a choice of the leather "brick" sheath or a more sporty Kydex system?

Wulf -- right you are! If my driveway were 50 yards shorter and 3 degrees less inclined I'd have bought an Outback. If the driveway were 50 yards longer and 3 degrees steeper, I'd need a humvee ! Same-same the Triton sheath or any carry method for that matter -- where are you going to use the knife, how, how often, how critical is the knife to what you do? When I make a sheath for someone I ask lots of stupid questions, besides what color they want.
Now that we've had this little automotive/tacticlac cutlery discussion, I might even think about adding a retainer strap to the sheath. Even the best friction rigs are mediocre at best in hard use.
Thanks for some entertainment on a quiet Saturday afternoon, and hopefully Kumdo won't hate us. (wonder what kind of car he drives? heh !)
Mike:)

I forgot to mention that our smaller knives (of which the first one is called the Critter) will have more "shapely" sheaths. Smaller sheaths are by nature less likely to bend, so we can get away with more curves. Plus, the design of the knife will go better with a less "industrial" looking sheath, IMO. I'll post pics here in about a week.

Well the Triton is, no doubt, a substantial knife. You wouldn't want to risk it ever busting through a sheath! Now, I do think leather is the way to go with a knife like this, and as I mentioned earlier, the design you came up with looks like it will carry the knife securely and will not fail.

When I mentioned "sporty" cars in my previous comments, I described them as "fast, tough, compact vehicles that can take you just about anywhere." Since I picture myself running around in the mountains of VT, NH, and ME with this knife on my hip, I consider how the carry system would accomodate jogging, climbing, jumping, and, yes, maybe even falling down once or twice as well (yes, it's happened before ;) ). I want a sheath that will stay close to me, not get in the way, and not get hung up on bushes, branches, or other gear. One of my favorite styles of sheath for large knives that will accompany me through the woods is a "swing sheath" (pic) - one that swings from a loop and ties down to the leg.

I'm not suggesting you copy this style or even deviate much from what you have so far. Rather, I'm trying to illustrate more clearly what I meant when I said "sporty." When you're lugging 40 lbs of gear through thick northern woods, the last thing you want to worry about is your knife restricting your movement or getting caught in a bush. Maybe a tie-down strap would make sense.

Now John, let me just reiterate that I would never be so rude and presumptuous as to try to tell you how to make the sheath. Again, I'm simply offering some thoughts and perhaps a few small suggestions. Remember, this is just one man's humble opinion, nothing more. :)

Now John, let me just reiterate that I would never be so rude and presumptuous as to try to tell you how to make the sheath. Again, I'm simply offering some thoughts and perhaps a few small suggestions. Remember, this is just one man's humble opinion, nothing more. :)

Wulf, I am very grateful for your input! I don't take your comments as trying to tell me how to do anything. Asked for comments and you were nice enough to take the time to write.

I also like swing type sheaths for big knives, as they facilitate sitting down and general movement. Rigid belt loops tend to make large knives very cumbersome. The leather strap Dawn used on this Triton sheath is flexible like a belt, so the sheath can move around when it needs to. It won't swing back and forth like the one in your picture, but it will move around enough for my taste (jogging with a full-swing sheath would be pretty gnarly!).

I like the idea of a tie-down strap. That's a definite with the next one!

I snapped a couple of pictures of the knife on my belt (through the bathroom mirror). Poor pictures, but I thought it would be a good idea to see what the Triton looks like on a belt.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Attachments

• dscf0008.jpg
    dscf0008.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 88
I like it!!! AND think that incorporating the "logo" into the frog is very cool

That really is swell!
The knife and sheath are both total works of art!
She did a great job on the sheath!

The more I look at these pics the more I want one! :D

Thanks again for the pictures and the topic John. And if there are still any knife makers out there who don't think there's real value in spending the time to put together a top quality package, which includes a top quality sheath/carry system, they should read and re-read this thread. I think that's becoming less and less the case among custom makers, but some of the production folks still need educating IMNSHO.
MtMike

Back