Designer recognition time

Sal Glesser

We had a thread like this a couple of years ago and it's time to do another.

Every "thing" that is created by humans is both invented and designed. These inventors and designers are rarely even known.

In the world of knives, we are very fortunate to have among us some really great inventors and designers.

Who are your favorites and why? Let's take some time to appreciate and give credit to our "idea folk" and "artists" in our knife arena.

I'd like to kick it off with a toast to Ed Schempp. Designs in the Spyderco stable include the "Persian designs" both large and small and the Kris folder. We also have others in the works. He also is one of the mosaic damascus gurus, always sharing his knowledge.

Who's yours?

sal

-------------------------------------------------------

The entire "business chain" from; raw materials, invention, design, manufacturing, marketing, selling, distributing, shipping, warrantees, insurance, credit, etc. ALL EXISTS to service the ELU (End Line User). Remove the ELU from the equation and the entire business chain falls like a house of cards. We all work for you!

Sal, Thanks for asking this question here. In your Spyerco lineup, I think Bob Lum has hit three home runs with the Chinese, Tanto fixed blade, and the first Lum Folder (C46). All are distinctively different knives that are a pleasure to own and use.

Another notable design guru in my book is Neil Blackwood. His production designs for Benchmade are outstanding. The Skirmish line is so good it typically brings comparison to another more expensive titanium/S30V production folder.

STR

Knifemaker/Moderator
Ken Onion for me. He is a genius and has made some stuff in the way of folders that I wish I could have done. I think the little Kershaw Random Task knife is one of the greatest little knives to have ever come along. Its always stood out to me and when it first came out and I got one from A.G Russell I held it thinking to myself there it is. The blade shape I've always loved, the perfect size, a great handle material, and assisted opening. It was there all along why didn't I think of that?

Two other stand outs for me early on in my life were Michael Walker and Ron Lake. Both of these guys are also genius level in my opinion and deserving of awe from the likes of this back yard mechanic.

But, if this is supposed to be just for designers of Spyderco knives. I have really found myself more drawn in by the Centofante knives than any others but in the last few years there have been several by Sal and Eric both that have become fast favorites of mine. You guys are rocking and rolling with new locks and designs.

STR

Sal Glesser

The thread has nothing to do with Spyderco, sorry if I gave that impression. In fact present company should be excluded.

sal

McHenry Williams for the Axis lock

AG Russell for the general utility semi-wharncliffe blade variation. He popularized it if he didn't create it.

Mike Stewart's convex edges (not that he created them, but his execution is excellent)

PHil

From the knives I own, I'd have to say Mel Pardue. Multiple great designs for tactical knives, gents folders and the in between EDC.

Peregrin

Traditional Forum Moderator
Gold Member
Although I don't have any of their newest knives, I think the William Henry Company has put out some outstanding knives. I've collected a half dozen over the past couple of years and IMO their design, material and end product is exemplary.

RLR

Gotta agree with McHenry and Williams... classic designs, great function, rock solid performers.

But, gotta give Sal his due - for the above reasons, on the ParaMilitary. Could be the best all around knife available.

These are some I've noticed as I looked, over the last year, for custom makers and what qualifies as a well designed knife

Eric Glesser
--For different reasons, I did not expect much from him initially (cynical me). However, I came to see the great ergos and focused design that made the company famous. His designs are a breath of fresh air in an all too imitated world. Since his debut, I've gotten each of his designs and found each excellent.

Allen Elishewitz
--His designs find that boundary between tactical fighter and excellent EDC knife ( the Dark Star and 73x series are examples). I see a smoothness and elegance in his work. He's one knife maker I enjoy viewing new samples from.

Mel Pardue
--It seems like every Benchmade knife I get has 'Mel Pardue' on the blade somewhere. Once, I thought he was Benchmade's only designer. Incredible talent.

Dave Mosier
--A knifemaker who has that eye for beauty and can combine it with well made and tough knife.

RH

Blackie Collins, for the original bolt-action lock, and some nifty sheaths.

stjames

Sebenzanista
Chris Reeve for perfecting and popularizing the Integral Lock with the Sebenza line of folders. At the beginning of 1999 there were only a handful of custom makers who used the device, now your choice seems almost limitless.

If we were including "present company" I might mention a certain individual who introduced the pocket clip and the opening hole for one handed operation, and has done the opposite of most knife company owners by bringing more of his manufacturing into the United States rather that starting to outsource a formerly all-American brand.

My favorite would have to be Darrel Ralph:thumbup: . I have yet to find a design of his i haven't liked

"Dave Mosier
--A knifemaker who has that eye for beauty and can combine it with well made and tough knife."
I totally agree on that!! And I would like to add Darrel Ralph, Rick Hinderer, Tom Mayo, and Chris Reeves. They all make amazing knives. And DDR's designs are spectacular. The talent of these makers (and many other that I could list.) is awe inspiring to me!!

I'd say Onion... they appear to be all art and form but if you use them there are also all function. To me is very hard to mix form and function so well so one for him.

I also recently bought a Presidio folder and the axis lock is a very good design (so another mention to McHenry-Williams).

Sal Glesser

I'd like to put on a notch for Warren Osborne. Has both the "eye" and can also create the "performance".

One of his "lines" always aspires;

"Perfection is impossible, strive for excellence"

sal