Devastating loss....!!!

:)

Not really meant as dark humor -- but now that you mention it, I had to laugh at it as well.
Dan, we all wish you a speedy recovery of your systems -- and losing data can be like any other loss (and the mourning part may take the same course as well). This article is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but as someone who lost some important data a few years back, I still thought it was a pretty clever adaptation: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36785171/

I'll send you an email shortly.

That really stinks! I am no computer genius, but one possibly easy and free backup for future emails would be to set up a gmail (or something similar) account and have all your emails forwarded to the account. Then you would have an online backup.

Eh. I wouldn't use NoDaddy. But if it works for you and you don't have any issues then go for it.

Another option is to create a GMail account and forward a copy of every incoming message to it. Then also BCC that gmail account when you send mail. It's like RAID 1 for your email.

That really stinks! I am no computer genius, but one possibly easy and free backup for future emails would be to set up a gmail (or something similar) account and have all your emails forwarded to the account. Then you would have an online backup.

:) :thumbup:
Code:
Code:
Code:

I moved all my mail to the cloud (gmail) a while back. I made that decision because I was dealing with too many computers and I couldn't put email on any one of them. It also means I don't have any local email to fail.

IMHO-When this happens to me, ultimately I have to look at as it a blessing- as I'm no longer burdened with the responsibility of maintaining such a large amount of important "to me" information of which I will probably only use less than 1 out of 1000. Last time it happened I lost 27,000 good emails and never looked back!!! After a few weeks all was well!

Another vote for Gmail - I moved from outlook after losing all my emails on a USB memory stick. Luckily I printed my important emails to PDF and stored in a folder. Still it was a pain as I still missed the stuff I considered unimportant.

Now I do regular backups and store important stuff on Dropbox

Hi Dan sorry to hear about your rotten luck with your mail. I have forwarded you copies of my mail exchange with you.
Take it easy.....Steven

+1 for Gmail, 7GB of free storage, I have all my personal and work emails backed up on separate gmail accounts, I use it to automatically retrieve my incoming email from my work server and also use it as my outgoing mail server at work, so both my incoming and outgoing emails are backed up, I have set this up for my employees as well, works great and best of all it's free!

ok - you guys have me convinced. I'm willing to try it.

How would it work for me?

I have a gmail acct already = kosterknives @ gmail . com

How do I get my other email accts set up through it? (I have several accts)

Dan

Gmail allows you to setup many accounts to feed into your gmail account. You can also choose which account each outgoing email should be from. Look for "Add Pop3 email account" under Settings/Accounts & Import.

This Gmail thing looks good. Can you route other email addresses to your Gmail or does it have to have @Gmail address?

Ok guys - I took the plunge.

My gmail acct is kosterknives @ gmail . com

dan @ kosterknives . com
still works though....I've got it routing through gmail for now.

I do like that you can browse your email offline with their download, and also that I can check it via IMAP from a mobile phone.

Time will tell...

Thanks for the suggestions - I do appreciate it very much. Hopefully this will be the ticket for me. I've already put some of the features to use, like filters and labels, etc. Looks like a great email client.

Dan

I suggest using gmail in future....... they're a lot smarter at computers than we are. Its free, has tons of space and there are other cool features like google docs etc. ;)

So far, so good!

I'm getting emails and able to reply with success.

Hopefully the problems/worries will now be behind me.

:thumbup:

Dan

I generate documents for my employer that I really cannot afford to lose, so I do the gmail thing too. I just email the doc to gmail for safekeeping, and a copy of all of my incoming email to my regular ISP gets forwarded to gmail as a backup. So I feel fairly protected, and gmail's search function makes it easy to find any emails I might need to look for.

peace out

I was able to recover some contacts in an old backup. I'm sending out an email just to see who's still around. I apologize for any duplicates.

Dan

Back