Devil forge or Atlas mini

I’m in canda looking to get the atlas mini but the cost when converted and shipped here ends up $472 plus possible import duties

The Devil forge
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.ca/ulk/itm/251333124599
Is $266 shipped plus possible duties

What is th general conciseness?
They are both beginner forges
I only care about blades no forge welding. I personally like the look and finish better of the atlas however that can’t be the deciding factor.
More function! Keep in Mind there is over $200 price difference where I can almost buy two of the cheaper model in case longevity becomes an issue.

I don't know what the general consensus is but I would say atlas every single time. Personally, I'm not a fan of the square forges with the burner pointing straight down at your work. With the atlas, the burner appropriately comes in at a tangent and creates the swirl to help even out the heat.

So for only blades, I would definitely pick the atlas mini. If you were to do some other general blacksmithing stuff, it might be hard to fit it into the atlas. Something to keep in mind.

I agree, I've got a square forge I purchased - not so good layout with burners pointing straight down. I built another with round and burner coming in from side. MUCH better - I'd go with Atlas for sure

I just pulled the trigger in the Devil Forge will do a full write up when it arrives to Canada Ontario, with a video may help the next person
With the amount of amazing reviews and
The seller seems to have it figured out. People are praising his burners and how powerful they can be.
At face Value I would take the atlas mini but not at the price it costs to get in Canada.
Will repost in a few weeks
With full unbox and video

I’ve had a 2 burner oval forge from Devil Forge for 3 years now. I haven’t had any problems with it. One think to keep in mind is you may need to buy a regulator from a local hardware store. The Devil Forge regulator is a European propane tank regulator, so it won’t fit with American style tanks (Not sure which kind of tank you guys use up north, but I’m assuming it’s the same as us).

I just went to the local hardware store and picked up a 0-15 psi regulator. They usually cost around $15-$20. There is a modification you can do to the regulator that comes with the forge to make it fit American style tanks, but it requires a bit of work. On the Devil Forge website you’ll find a tutorial on how to go about that if you choose to.

I’ve had a 2 burner oval forge from Devil Forge for 3 years now. I haven’t had any problems with it. One think to keep in mind is you may need to buy a regulator from a local hardware store. The Devil Forge regulator is a European propane tank regulator, so it won’t fit with American style tanks (Not sure which kind of tank you guys use up north, but I’m assuming it’s the same as us).

I just went to the local hardware store and picked up a 0-15 psi regulator. They usually cost around $15-$20. There is a modification you can do to the regulator that comes with the forge to make it fit American style tanks, but it requires a bit of work. On the Devil Forge website you’ll find a tutorial on how to go about that if you choose to.

All the newer reviews say he’s fixed the issue for North America. So hopefully the regulator is plug and play !!

Well for who might be interested the devil forge has arrived with everything needed for North American market
Here is a 1 min video

Just like the guys said,a big hot spot right where the flame is hitting
For an even heat you can pump the blade in and out with a tongs
I never feel more bladesmithy than when I'm doing that :)

Hard to tell if you are just testing or serious. You might want to research a bit on how to heat treat using a forge, if that is going to be your method. Nice unit, but big for doing blades. The beauty of the atlas is the efficiency. You will use a lot more propane.

Last edited:
I am seeing a bit of poo poo on these 2 burner square box forges. that is what they use on Forged in Fire, and I bet they could get anything they want. I get the angled entry to the chamber but how big a deal is that for a rookie who is not doing this full time?

I would not use forged in fire as a standard for anything. They use those forges because they are very easy to replace the floor and walls in. I’m sure they have a truckload of wall and floor panel bricks and replace them regularly (if not after every show). I doubt the contestants care much about how they treat those forges. Also they are often forging large irregular shaped things which is better suited to one of these style “blacksmith” forges with a bit more interior space.

A forge with the burners pointing down isn’t ideal for blades. It will work but you may be fighting with some excess oxidation and moving your workpiece in the forge more to get a consistent heat. If that’s what your mind (or wallet) is set on and you don’t want to build one yourself, by all means... it will heat up steel and allow you to forge.

I am seeing a bit of poo poo on these 2 burner square box forges. that is what they use on Forged in Fire, and I bet they could get anything they want. I get the angled entry to the chamber but how big a deal is that for a rookie who is not doing this full time?
For the rookie it's even more important to have a nice swirl action going with the flame for even heating. I had one of those square forges with 2 burners and it heated, and got iron hot. Put a 12" billet in and it would be glowing bright orange in center (hot spot) and barely red at ends. With my new homemade forge the same 12" billet is an even orange color from end to end.

An experienced blade smith can keep billet moving to get fairly even heating, but it does take more work and watching. The square forges with burner pointing straight down were developed for blacksmiths because they want fast heating, and usually heating in a single spot is just fine, and maybe better than heating the total bar.

FWIW, I'm a beginner and after doing my research I went with the Atlas. It heats up quickly and seems to barely sip propane. The opening is tiny - that's the only drawback. Like about two inches in diameter. So if you plan on making any cleavers or hatchets, you might want to avoid that one. In every other respect its a great forge. We have the big square ones at the maker space I go to, and while they serve a purpose (larger items, forge welding, etc) it's astonishing how much propane those things devour.

I am seeing a bit of poo poo on these 2 burner square box forges. that is what they use on Forged in Fire, and I bet they could get anything they want.

I get the angled entry to the chamber but how big a deal is that for a rookie who is not doing this full time?

Just like any TV show, any logo, any product you can see and Identify is there because it's paid advertising.

Remember that milling machine FIF had in the corner ?
It was never used because it didn't even have electricity hooked up to it.

The red Ferrari and the Rolex watch in Magnum PI
Receses Pieces in ET
Stranger Things: Eggos. ...
Harold and Kumar: White Castle. ...
The Matrix: Nokia. ...
Rick and Morty: Szechuan Sauce. ...
Orange is the New Black: Flaming Hot Cheetos. ...
Wayne's World: Pizza Hut. ...
Iron Man Trilogy: Audi. ...
Stranger Things: Coca-Cola.

"Product Placement"

HIGHLY doubt it. Probably going to upgrade my homemade forge to an atlas
I will give you another glowing review. I don't forge a lot but I love having yours for when I do. Its solid and super portable. I was going to give mine to my nephew and get one of the new stainless ones but money is short and I'm not going to be without one. I can see where maybe you might want a little bit larger one for some things but in that case I would buy a second one and not give up mine.

Back