DeVilliers/Elishewitz/Duncan...Need Advice

Hi Everyone,

After too many years of waiting I've decided to take the plunge and buy my first custom knife. I'm looking for a tactical folder and would like to stay around $400. The knife will be carried often, but not everyday. I plan to carry it for defense in certain situations and I'll be using it when hiking or camping. I'd like a practical blade shape possesing a bit of "pucker factor", if that's possible.

The makers have been narrowed down to Andre DeVilliers(Tactical Pathfinder) and Alan Elishewitz(Persian or Djinn). Brad Duncan's work looks great too, but I'm afraid I might be exceeding my budget with him.

Anyway, I've come to the experts for advice. How do these makers compare in regards to attention to detail, fit and finish, blade and lockup strength, etc., etc.? Any input(the more info the better)is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Although I don't own a Pathfinder, I do own a DeVilliers and I strongly recommend his work if price is crucial. Brad Duncan makes some suprsmooth knives but his price has been increasing. I don't think you can get one of his really good knives for $400 anymore. The same is true for Elishewitz. All of his latest models are around $500-550 or so. You can get a great plain edge DeVilliers Pathfinder from www.knifeart.com for about $395.

Wulong,

I agree with anthony 100%. While the Duncan and Elishewitz knives are excellent they are more than you are looking to spend.
For your $400 you can get an Andre DeVilliers Folder that is built tough to handle the heavy work and look good doing it.
DeVilliers prices have been rising and when you see one you will know why.

good luck
recoil

I could not agree more. I have a Devilliers Pathfinder and I carry it almost everyday. It is easy to keep sharp on my Spydy Sharpmaker. It retains its edge very nicely. On days when I give the Pathfinder a rest I carry a Ray Rogers Integral folder #1236 custom. :D

Devillier is good at $500..much less $400! One of the most underrated maker out there..inish is outstanding!

Thanks for all of the quick replies.

I have to say that I'm stunned that 100% of the responses have been a vote for DeVilliers. I'm not doubting his quality in any way, just surprised that nobody has spoken up in favor of Elishewitz of Duncan. Maybe this is a result of the $400 budget that I mentioned. Well, $400 is not written in stone and is creeping up rather quickly. I can't let a pesky little thing like a budget come between me and the right knife...I'm sure you've all been there before. ;)

At this point I've spoken to Elishewitz and Brad Duncan(super nice guy), and I'm awaiting Andre DeVilliers' response to my email. I've also searched the forum on all three. Nothing but positive info was found on Duncan, and mostly good feedback on DeVilliers. Elishewitz seems a little more difficult to pin down, unless it goes without saying that his knives are superb.

That being said, all are in the running right now, but I would love more input from the veterans. I'm hoping that someone with firsthand knowledge could post a bit more in-depth information. Perhaps compare/contrast the three makers' workmanship and design. Elishewitz and Duncan owners please speak up.

Wulong, the best advice I can give ya is to buy the knife you like. If you like all three of them then sooner or later (like many of us) you will buy them all...

I've got a Elishewitz cortex in which I consider one of the nicest custom wharncliff folders around. I've also got an early Duncan folder thats as tough as they come. As to the quality of the work - no worries here, but please remember that these are handmade knives and there may be subtle variations from knife to knife. I would not hesitate to buy a folder from either of these two gentlemen if I had the ready cash. Anything wrong with their knives, they will fix them. One of the joys of buying custom knives.

If I struck the lottery tomorrow, I would immediately order one of Allen's bolster-lock Persians and one of Brad's whiplash models with a sharpfusion blade. And probably yet another Carson Model 4....

Andrew Limsk

I completely agree with Redvenom. Buy what you like. The people in these forums are great for feedback. Before I was a member of these forums, I would see what experience the forumites ahd with makers I was interested in before I would make a purchase. I do not own a knife by either Brad Duncan or DeVillers yet, but their work seems wonderful.

Buy what you like and you can't go wrong.

Dan Huff

Gotta put one more pole in for Andre..., Wowwww is he good! I have four of his pieces.., and each is really a terrific knife for the price!

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

I've owned a DeVillier's (Tactical Pathfinder) and Elishewitz(Striker and Persian). Can't comment on Duncan's wares. DeVillier and Elishewitz make awesome knives ~ that can take quite a bit of punishment and still come back for loads more.

But, if I were you. . .I'd also consider a Kit Carson Model 4, Ralph Darrel EDC, Mike Obenauf Model 1 or even a Greg Lightfoot Magnum.

Personally. . .purchasing any of the above. . .you can't go wrong !

Before you purchase though. . .

1. Don't purchase a knife as a form of defense. Knives are tools and are a poor weapon choice unless you "really" know how to use one. To use a blade against someone ~ you have to be extremely close to the BG. Rule #1 in defense. . .KEEP THE BG AT A DISTANCE ! Besides, there are other "defensive weapons" on the market that are cheaper and are better suited for those particular roles. . .

2. Take you're time in making a selection (don't let a impulse buy win over). This is the hardest stumbling block to get over ! :D

3. Try to physically look at and handle each blade that you're desiring.

4. Make sure the knife meets your requirements ($400, comfortable to carry, can withstand the riggers of hiking/camping, has "pucker factor", etc.).

Then. . .let us know what you eventually decide on or get.

Wulong

All 3 knifemakers you are asking about are great.

They each have their own unique style and all 3 make their knives to the highest standards.

By the way... Allen Elishewitz does offer some folders at $400.00

Neil

Back