Dewar for chef knives?

Hey everyone been a while since I posted. I'm about to get a HT oven and have been looking for a dewar. I mainly do chef knives and was wondering what dewar you use for a chef knife? The ones I've seen on ebay have a month opening of 1.9in

Another dewar thread, ok here we go lol.

You have to weigh out the cost of LN and how many knives you do. I do a TON of knives and im 1000% happy with my choice of going with a opening just over 2". I have a very large glass vacuum flask for anything larger and it's also very nice. it's like 6" wide and like 13" deep I think and works perfectly. Stay away from the cheep made in china dewars as your going to be refilling them way sooner than thy say. Also stay AWAY from dewars that come with a little blanket or jacket around them. This is a sign of a cheep dewar that's not built properly, your dewar should not be cold on the outside as its vacuum insulated, you loose all your nitrogen out the top through the mouth that's why larger opening loose it faster. I generally get a few hundred blades out of mine before I have to refill and it keeps for a very long time. look for a dewar that has an evaporation rate of around .09L/D, that's about the best I found in my research. My dewar is made by VWR "cryo pro", but thy make a few different dewars and mine is the CC-2. Stay away from the VWR L series, Thy are cheaper and have a much higher evaporation rate. I have been keeping my eye out for a CC-3 but even used thy are around $800 minimum plus shipping. My cc-2 has a 2-3/16" opening and holds 20L where the cc-3 is 2-3/4 and holds 30L. but if your not doing hundreds of knives a month your not going to need something like that. Honestly I don't think there is a better dewar out there or knife makers then the VWR CC-2.

My chef knives come in right at 2in wide. Stacy that one you posted looks nice and is right up the road from me but doesn't say how wide it is. I'll ask.

JT, those seem really nice but man they are expensive

We have a 30L that was a AI storage dewar. High quality. It’s got a 2 5/8” mouth. Holds for almost 4 months.
Check farm auctions. I’ve seen $1000 dewars sell for $150

I use a Taylor Wharton hc34, it has a 3.6” neck and is rated for a 200 day hold time. Picked it up locally (60 miles away) for $250. I have 7 AEB-l knives clamped together in their right now and could fit a lot more. Being in the garage, I usually have to fill it up or top off about 3 times a year. Also shop around for places to fill it. In Norfolk/Virginia Beach area I paid about $120 to fill, found a place out in the country (40 min drive) that will do it for $30.

Last edited:
The neck is over 2.75" because the sample tubes are that size. Probably a 3" neck. The sample tubes are great for doing cryo. Put a blade in them and hang in the tank. You could do a bunch at one time that way.

have a 20l wide mouth with the 6 "straws" really nice for chefs knives and the straws can be loaded and hung on the lip of the tank. i do batch work and make sure i have 30-50 knives ready for HT before gettign the tank filled i normaly get 2 batches per tank. you just have to plan for that

have a 20l wide mouth with the 6 "straws" really nice for chefs knives and the straws can be loaded and hung on the lip of the tank. i do batch work and make sure i have 30-50 knives ready for HT before gettign the tank filled i normaly get 2 batches per tank. you just have to plan for that
Looking at getting a dewar. Can you tell me the make and model of your dewar? Will be using it on chefs knives and other large knives and would like a good wide mouth dewar with enough depth... Thanks!

I am fully aware of how old this thread is but based on your reply, I’m hoping others will see it or be notified that someone posted on it and provide some information. Thanks
Just click on butcher blocks profile and send him amessage,

Back