D'Holder "Phoenix Small Hunter" drop point handmade knife

I think that's its name, based upon ads I have seen. It would make the perfect trout knife but I haven't used it yet, after 20 years. Not having bought it new, I don't know what type of wood and steel it's made of. If anyone knows, feel free to post that information.

In contrast to most examples of D'Holder knives that I see, mine is Plain Jane in a plain dress. But the dress fits really well. No snap needed. Graceful and well-balanced.

Anyone else care to post pictures of a D'Holder handmade knife? ("Handmade" meaning made only by the two hands of D. Alton Holder, not by any of the many licensed sellers of his name like Schrade. Those are wonderful knives, of course, just not what I'm asking about today.)

IMG_3010 (800x600).jpg IMG_3013 (800x600).jpg IMG_3016 (800x600).jpg IMG_3022 (800x600).jpg View attachment 1243284

Last edited:
Here is a neck knife proof of concept that D' made back when I worked for Schrade. It's a gorgeous little knife with a clever sheath. It's too bad that Schrade went out of business before we could fully develop it.

View media item 7988Here you can see the clip on the back side of the sheath so that it could be clipped to a pocket, belt or even a sun visor.

View media item 7989This is another idea he had. Kind of a tool on the neck concept. I think that it might have made a handy tool for skinning. He envisioned that it would have a kydex sheath and possibly some other tool functionality to it.
View media item 7990

Last edited:
Here is my Natchez Hunter engraved by Joe Mason
medium800.jpg

Nice!
And nice photo by the way! I've found that it is tricky getting the lighting just right.

Wow, never seen plain handle examples like those above. Interesting. Good blades!

Jon, Bob had a few really nice knives by Anton, including a large military bowie I got from him. No pic, as it's in a safe about 7000 miles from me right now.

Back