Did Amazon send me a used knife?

Help me deside if this sp10 sold and shipped by Amazon came used.

First pic is bottom of box, both tapes where broken

Next pic is cardboard cover over blade.. Has some dirty spots that look like glue residue

Sheath.. Do they come with the shoelace already tied on?

Small chip on the coating on the hand guard.. From factory? Or use. Also is that small gap ok?

Lanyard came tied on as well... Normal?

Used? A return maybe, looks usable, if the price was right I think I would be OK with it. I would put a whole lot more ware on it anyway.

Lanyards come attached. Appears unused, but possibly handled. Missing finish spot could be from the gaurd rubbing the bottom of the box over time.

Oh it's going to get some ware.. Just irritated that Amazon would sell it to me as new if it's not

There's a difference between custom finnish and defective, Im aware of the price point thanks

Aside from that gap & slight chip of paint, the letter "P" of SP10 looks awfully dodgy too.

Were it mine,
I would crawl into the OCD Knife Closet of Shame, cry and swear off buying massproduced 50$ dollar knives ever again.

I actually love this thing, can't believe I haven't had one until now

I think you are both a little confused, if you will refer to the thread topic you will see that it's an effort to establish the trustworthiness of Amazon knife orders. Thanks for the imput though guys. Much appreciated.

It looks handled to me, mostly because all of the OKC knives I've ordered from Amazon had both ends taped shut. One end torn is possible, while two means someone was inside. Secondly the epoxy coating is tough enough that I can't imagine how it could ever rub off inside the box.................I'd think the bottom of the box would wear through first.

All that said, I'd be most concerned with how well the grind lines were. That reminds me, what's the production date on the box? It should be pretty recent if it came directly from Amazon, and not a third party.

It looks handled to me, mostly because all of the OKC knives I've ordered from Amazon had both ends taped shut. One end torn is possible, while two means someone was inside. Secondly the epoxy coating is tough enough that I can't imagine how it could ever rub off inside the box.................I'd think the bottom of the box would wear through first.

All that said, I'd be most concerned with how well the grind lines were. That reminds me, what's the production date on the box? It should be pretty recent if it came directly from Amazon, and not a third party.

Sep 15

My last SP10 was purchased in October (from Amazon), and had an Aug 15 date, so the two month spacing is the same as yours. Not really conclusive of anything, but maybe a good sign.

Hi Kraash,

It doesn't look used. The lanyards are tied on here. The tape being cut might mean Amazon inspected the knife. It almost looks like it was dropped on an uneven surface with the point of impact being near the guard and engraving. As much as those knives are meant to stand abuse, finishes and powder coats will wear off on impact.

As for Amazon, if it says "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" then it's actually coming from Amazon. It's also possible you'd see "Sold by XXXXX and Fulfilled by Amazon" or "Ships from and Sold by XXXXX." Either of those will mean that you're actually buying from a third party (whoever is listed where I have XXXXX).

They are awesome knives! Go beat the heck out of it and it will look even better!:thumbup:

Got another on from Amazon to compare...
Tape intact

Clean

No damage

Tad sharper as well. Shaves no problem

Glad to see you're happy now kraash. You tackled the problem EXACTLY like I would have. :D

I purchased three SP10's last month. I gifted the first, will mod the second when I get time, and placed the third one a shelf as the perfect specimen I was gunning for all along. ;)

Kraash the first sp10 you ordered is defective and dangerous to use
Send it to me and I will dispose of it free of charge
:D

@ Kraash, gotta chill out man, all that's pretty normal. Rarely will you get a perfect speciman of any knife from any dealer. The slight finish damage on the guard looks like it's from the factory. The gap looks slightly larger than average, but it's not too bad. Boxes sometimes have tape cut and blade cardboard covers covered with gunk. At worst, you may have received a customer return that was re-stocked.

On the second knife you got, there are similar (but smaller) marks on the guard. This adds support to the idea that the marks on the first one were from the factory. I see the fit between the guard and the blade is tighter.

These kinds of slight defects or blemishes might be a big deal if you paid for a $1,000 custom job, but they are commonplace in $50-60 production knives.

Back