Did Spyderco "invent" the pocket clip?

Ritt

Gold Member
Anybody know the history of the pocket clip? Was Spyderco the first production company to use them on knives? Were there custom makers that did it before Spyderco?

Here is an old post from Sal on that very subject. The very first knife I ever saw that had a pocket clip was a Spyderco but I can't recall which one it was. The first knife I ever owned with a clip was the Spyderco Q.

here is the paste from Sal.

sal05-30-2001, 06:00 AM
I just received my issue of Blade Magazine's separate issue entitled "Folders Fantastic". All in all a very nice book.

There is an article in the issue about "Tactical Folders". While the afticle was interesting and provided much information, I believe that it was sorely lacking in some of the hisorical significance on "Tactical folders".

Since most of you visit the Spyderco forums because you have interest in the products and/or Spyderco history, and many of you are fairly new to the industry (less than 10 years), I thought to bring additonal fact to the Tactical folder story.

The author quotes me as defining "Tactical Folders"; "A tactical folder is one that was "purpose-designed" to be put immediately into use to effectively solve an unforseen and potentially dangerous situation". The situation is "Tactical" because of the potential danger, and the potential danger can be anything from a rope to an adversary".

What it did not mention is that was the design parameters of the first Clipit "Worker" model which went into production in 1981.

That first Clipit was IMHO the first Tactical folder. It opened one handed, had the original pocket clip and was "purpose-designed" for the above definition. The Mariner followed the following year with serrations that provided even more effective cutting power along with the clip and one hand open.

My good friend Bob Terzuola carried a Clipit Mariner in his pocket every day for 5 years before he created the "first Tactical Folder", one hand open with a pocket clip. If he is the Father of Tactical Folders, then Spyderco must be the grandfather.

Spencer Frazier, president of SOG carried a Clipit Harpy for about as long before he "created" his first tactical folder.

Al Mar asked permission to use the Spyderco clip on his tactical models in the late 80's (He always did show a lot of class).

Spyderco has been a Guild member since '79. In the mid to late 80's. Spyderco provided thousands of clips to custom makers so they could make tactical folders.

Lynn Thompson, president of Cold Steel likewise carried a Clipit Mariner for many years before he made tactical folders. An intersting point is that Lynn paid Spyderco a royalty on the integral clip even though he didn't have to, he thought it was the honorable thing to do because it was a Spyderco invention (though not patentable).

Ernie Emerson came on the scene 10 years later. We even licensed Ernie to use our hole opener for his custom knives (as Spyderco did for many custom makers).

Les deAsis, president of Benchmade was trying to emulate the Spyderco Clipit as early as '88 with his Monarch series (with clip and one hand open). Benchmade finally created their version of a Spyderco Clipit (under license) called the AFCK.

Tony, president of Microtech was inspired to make tactical knives because of the Spyderco Clipits.

By the time the term "Tactical Folders" was coined by Bob T, Spyderco already had 8 production tactical folders on the market. Spyderco was the first production company to make all black folders as well.

The Endura and Delica which came out in 1990 were certainly tactical folders. With several million out in the field, I would say that they also heavily influenced the tactical folder market. We made and sold more Tactical Enduras in one month than any custom maker will make in their lives.

Every wonder why all those clips looked the same until just recently?

We don't normally like to toot our own horn, but I believe that a true historical on Tactical folders would have to begin a decade before the author thought it did.

Sorry for the rant.

sal

Damn! Tell it like it is, Sal!

Thank you for the information and historical perspective, Gentlemen. Interesting that Sal said the clip was not patentable, as that was the question that got me thinking about the history of the clip. The Spyderhole is patented, isn't it? Seems that a particular style of pocket clip could be patentable, something distinct like the BM arrow clip. Of course I don't know jack about patent law. Any help?

Ritt said:
The Spyderhole is patented, isn't it? Seems that a particular style of pocket clip could be patentable, something distinct like the BM arrow clip. Of course I don't know jack about patent law. Any help?

Spyderco's round opening hole was patented but the patent protection period has expired. The hole is still trademark protected. The subject has been discussed at length in other threads in this forum and on Spyderco.com - just search on the subject of "skirmish" :D

David

Ritt said:
Anybody know the history of the pocket clip? Was Spyderco the first production company to use them on knives? Were there custom makers that did it before Spyderco?

The history channel (I forget which show, maybe R Lee?) says pirates used to put metal clips on their pistols to hang them on their belts, rather than use a holster for everything. I don't know what they did with daggers, and I don't think they went looting with folding knives, but they sure had a good idea going.

The idea may not have been patentable for one of several reasons. I would think knives that incorporated a "money clip" existed long before Spyderco came on the scene and the idea of a "clip" on a folder may have been patented for that use, perhaps as far back as the 1800's. "Tie clip" novelty knives may also have existed and been patented "way back when". And, I seem to recall fifty odd years ago being able to get an X-Acto knife with a fountain pen like design that incorporated a clip. Patents on any of those designs may have constitued "prior art" and made patenting a clothing clip impossible. Spyderco certainly does seem to be the first commercially successful implementation of the clothing clip.

Spyderco's round opening hole was patented but the patent protection period has expired. The hole is still trademark protected. The subject has been discussed at length in other threads in this forum and on Spyderco.com - just search on the subject of "skirmish" :D

David
Ran out?! they can do that? lol wow

I hadn't read the above from Sal but I have read that Spyderco was the first to offer a pocket clip and one hand opening.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery (unclips PM2 from pocket and opens blade with one hand). :)

The clip made it revolutionary.

No belt. No sheath needed.

I was sold from the first time I saw
a clip it Endura.

The clip made it revolutionary.

No belt. No sheath needed.

I was sold from the first time I saw
a clip it Endura.

Same with me - saw it first on the Endurance. It was a plastic clip, and the clip itself said "patent pending" I believe...

I purchased the Clip-it "Economy" with an integral clip and, over 500 Spydies later... I have not gone a day without a Spyderco clipped to my front-right pocket....

absolutely revolutionary! prior to the Economy/Worker models, I carried a buck in my back pocket (heavy) and a Gerber LST in the front pocket (not heavy) - yes, I was that cool!

Back