Did your Traditional knife get a workout today? -Part II

Sorry, no action shots because I had my hands full but I got to cut some side-curtain airbags from a wrecked vehicle today with my Boker. Tough stuff but no match for a good sharp knife;)

0-C7-FFC8-E-BEFD-4791-B4-E4-AC2623-E5-C2-DC.jpg

I wanted to test my newly reground 61ot so I cut up a couple boxes of cardboard. It flew right trough with no effort, as expected.

I then decided it was finally time to cut up my old and compromised rubber boots to see what was inside. Mostly it was rubber, but they had a steel shank (which I whacked the edge on both times). It did not take much effort to cut through the rubber with the 61ot, even the heel where it was very thick. The thinned out grind and edges make it perform so much better. Not that it was that bad before but I wanted more out of it.

IMG_7611.jpg

How do you like that one? It’s always intrigued me. Do you use the one hand opening feature at all?
I like it allot, for me its the perfect working knife. I use the wharnecliffe 90% of the time,but I do use the one hand feature. I'm on ladders allot or have to cut something while holding something else. I did grind the "hook" protrusion back a little bit,ground it closer to what my Case one arm barlow is and it still functions fine. I actually use the screwdriver part often as well,mostly as a scraper but also to turn an occasional screw lol. This at least for me is one knife that just "clicked" as far as usability goes. Oh and when I open the one hand blade two handed I often just pinch the protrusion part and open it that way.

I like it allot, for me its the perfect working knife. I use the wharnecliffe 90% of the time,but I do use the one hand feature. I'm on ladders allot or have to cut something while holding something else. I did grind the "hook" protrusion back a little bit,ground it closer to what my Case one arm barlow is and it still functions fine. I actually use the screwdriver part often as well,mostly as a scraper but also to turn an occasional screw lol. This at least for me is one knife that just "clicked" as far as usability goes. Oh and when I open the one hand blade two handed I often just pinch the protrusion part and open it that way.
Thanks. Mind posting a pic of the work you did on the one hand blade?

I like this knife. It made another hole in another belt this morning as neat as you please.
Oncf99n.jpg
Wish I could lose weight, and needed to fabricate a new belt hole like you.

What's your secret? I've been stuck at 1,120,000 grains for over two years now. :(
I want to shed 210,000 grains and get back to my pre-over the road truck (expedited box/straight truck, not a PIA to park 18 wheeler) driving years.

Last edited:
Wish I could lose weight, and needed to fabricate a new belt hole like you.

What's your secret? I've been stuck at 1,120,000 grains for over two years now. :(
I want to shed 210,000 grains and get back to my pre-over the road truck (expedited box/straight truck, not a PIA to park 18 wheeler) driving years.
My secret sounds worse than it is: I went vegan for my diabetes. Blood sugar's down, blood lipids are down, weight is down. It's easier than all the old counting diets; you can eat all you want of anything that isn't animal. I like root vegetables, and they're a canvas for spices, so no hardship.
The sentimental downside is, if I treat myself to something like fried shrimp, I don't like it anymore. The practical upside is, that makes it easier to stick to the diet. I plan to loosen up a bit when I've lost that last 60 pounds, but it's possible I won't want to loosen up.
And what they say about beans is true. If you eat them a few times a week, instead of every few weeks, you don't have to buy enzyme pills.

I used this knife to open a package this morning. My green stone mask-lanyard fob shattered on the tile floor, so I ordered a stainless steel one.
tsg9qq2.jpg

TJ0CZRX.jpg

Last edited:
Not much of a "work-out" ... least I hope it ain't ... Stirred my instant "coffee" (with vitamin caffeine) using my Rough Rider Classic Carbon stockman's clip point blade.

I'm not sure, my ancient vintage antique eyes might be playing tricks on me, after all. However, I think I might finally be seeing the first feint signs of a patina after stirring coffee, cutting apples, peach, and over cooked meats.

(I ain't allowed to cook for me, or anyone else here. "Medium Rare"; "Rare"; "Seared"; "Over Easy" (or any egg but "scrambled baked eggs"), and "Broiled"; isn't in the staffettes vocabulary. They only know or understand "cook until it's as dry or drier than the Sahara, and serve cold." :( Actually browning hash-browns, tater tots, french fries, and fried taters is also as incomprehensible to them as using spices is.)

Last edited:
Not much of a "work-out" ... least I hope it ain't ... Stirred my instant "coffee" (with vitamin caffeine) using my Rough Rider Classic Carbon stockman's clip point blade.

I'm not sure, my ancient vintage antique eyes might be playing tricks on me, after all. However, I think I might finally be seeing the first feint signs of a patina after stirring coffee, cutting apples, peach, and over cooked meats.

(I ain't allowed to cook for me, or anyone else here. "Medium Rare"; "Rare"; "Seared"; "Over Easy" (or any egg but "scrambled baked eggs"), and "Broiled"; isn't in the staffettes vocabulary. They only know or understand "cook until it's as dry or drier than the Sahara, and serve cold." :( Actually browning hash-browns, tater tots, french fries, and fried taters is also as incomprehensible to them as using spices is.)[/QUOTE
I will try to post an image in the morning, I have a classic carbon stockman with a decent patina on the clip blade this is actually the second time it formed because i reground the blade after using it for a bit over a week.

Back