Die maker needs some starter help

I have made a couple of knives in my spare time? But they were both made on a wet table grinder in my shop both tanto one S-7 and one W-2. I would really like to get into grinding by hand but I dont know what to get for a starter kit that isnt expensive. Can someone please help me out. I really want to get going on this these two knives got me exited, I wish I could show them to you. Thanks

I take it that you are a tool and die maker. I think the reason no one's jumped on this, is that we don't understand the question.

you already have tools, your wet table grinder, files, etc. start with them.

standard tools here seem to be 2x72 belt sander,metal cutting bandsaw, forge and anvil, rudimentery blacksmith tools. a bench grinder, buffing set up,

ad to that your immagination, I've forged over a welding torch. I'm a cabinet maker, my tools serve double purpose, I asume your will also. you probobly have most everything you need right now.

you need something to cut shape grind harden temper steel,
you need to be able to make and assemble a handle (steel, brass, wood, plastic, leather) most of this you already know.

I hope this is helpful, Eric

KB
first let me welcome you to the forums.:) Your first mistake was making your first two knives.:D
As a die maker you have some invaluable experiance in metal work that most of us did not have to start with.
Do a search on somthing like grinders or better yet home made grinders. A lot of guys here have made there own grinders to start with. In reality a lot of guys use good old belt sanders that are avaliable from any tool or hardware shop.
It strikes me strange that a guy that may have access to CNC mills and laths wants to hand grind a blade.:confused:
If all else fails surf thru the makers list and there web sights and look at there shop equipment and see what you need, what you already have and can adapt, or what you can build yourself.

You are a die maker and you want us to help you......NO WAY>>>>> you already know TOO much!!!!!! :)

Build a grinder. It won't take long and you can make it from scrap completely if you have a lathe to cut the wheels. Otherwise buy an inexpensive belt sander. As Eric said, it will do double duty!
Welcome to the site...just what I need, someone else with talent, I can only hope you don't have any taste (private joke)

THANK YOU GUYS FOR HELPING OUT. I DO HAVE ACCESS TO ALOT OF MACHINES BUT ITS TOO BAD THAT OUR CNC MACHINES RUN ALL DAY AND NIGHT. I DO HAVE LATHES AND ALL THE OTHER STUFF THOUGH JUST NEED TO MAKE A DECENT GRINDER FOR HOME. THANKS AGAIN HOPE TO TALK TO ALL OF YOU MORE!:p

Back