Difference between several ontario knifes...

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Crazyotter, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Crazyotter

Crazyotter

Jun 26, 2010
    This may be a totally dumb question, but can someone tell me what exactly the difference is in these two knives besides the handle? I mean, there has to be something else for a 50 dollar difference, right?

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerc...Mode=Brand&Brand=84&PriceStart=&SKU=OKC9422OM

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerc...Mode=Brand&Brand=84&PriceStart=&SKU=OKC9422BM

Oh, and while I'm at it, opinions? Thanks!

P.S: If there is a ontario specific section under some other name, sorry and feel free to move mods.

2. Crazyotter

Crazyotter

Jun 26, 2010
    Anyone?

3. Legoman0721

Legoman0721

Apr 29, 2010
    That might just be the difference between Micarta and G-10. That's the only thing I could tell was different, but I've never owned or even seen either of these knives so take that for what it's worth.

Hope this helps!

4. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    they're both ugly :eek:

5. PayetteRucker

PayetteRucker

Aug 4, 2009
    The Rangers are finished well and there's a HUGE cost difference with handle materials. I picked up a shank with 550 chord wrap for 30 bucks.

6. -Ranger-

-Ranger- Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Only difference is the handle as far as I know.
    There can definitely be a difference in price between handle materials, but I believe G-10 is generally more expensive than black canvas micarta.

There is a significant difference in the price of different variations of several Ontario models on that site. The difference is not always consistent with handle material or blade type. I've found the pricing to be somewhat random (in a good way) at times. A while ago I scored an RTAKII for $59 bucks. If you don't mind the color difference, I'd go with the orange G-10 and save $50.

7. rifon2

rifon2

Oct 9, 2005
    Crazyotter, I think that's actually a good question - I just don't see any apparent reason for a $50.00 price difference between those knives.

8. richw

richw

Jan 28, 2010
    I am pretty sure that the OM one is mistakenly priced. The two knives are the same except the handle color.

9. banana-clip

banana-clip

Jun 7, 2007
    G10 is usually always higher priced than micarta. Can't figure out why the micarta is $50.00 more.

10. thebrain

thebrain

Dec 12, 2007
    I have noticed that same deal with other items from that retailer ,Mostly this works to my advantage I hope it works for yours also.

11. Crazyotter

Crazyotter

Jun 26, 2010
    Ok, awesome and ty guys for all the replies. I guess I'm going with the orange g10 handle (not that its a prob, I love orange). :thumbup: Ty.