Difference between Sheeps Foot and Wharncliffe blade?

I searched, but couldn't find a ready answer for this question.

In looking at the two blades, they appear very similar to me. What is the difference between the two?

Thanks!

The way I've always thought about it was sheepsfoot blades have a spine that is parallel to the cutting edge most of the length of the blade. The spine on a wharncliffe blade curves continually from the handle to the tip (or at least closer to the handle than sheepsfoot blades).

For example, I would say most would classify this Victorinox as a sheepsfoot. You can see the parallel spine and cutting edge for most of the length of the blade.
rSGAwTK.jpg

Here, you can see the more gradual curve all the way along the spine.
Xt0mCDN.jpg

Last edited:
The way I've always thought about it was sheepsfoot blades have a spine that is parallel to the cutting edge most of the length of the blade. The spine on a wharncliffe blade curves continually from the handle to the tip.

Would a sheeps foot have more cutting surface then - all other things being equal?

Same length for cutting, both are straight edges, spine and tip are different, not the edge.

I searched, but couldn't find a ready answer for this question.

In looking at the two blades, they appear very similar to me. What is the difference between the two?

Thanks!
wharncliffe has pointy tip.

Skimo's correct. Since both blades have (ideally) perfectly straight cutting edges, all things being equal, you would have the same cutting surface.

I made this really quick to show the difference. Both "blades" are the same length. The only difference is in the curvature of the spine.
rU4EuGL.png

Dang, looks like JTR357 beat me to it.

Last edited:
Not sure I can see the difference between a Wharncliffe and an Ettrick - other than perhaps the beveling along the spine. I don't think I know enough yet to see the subtle differences.

There are also examples in-between. GEC calls this a Wharncliffe, but I call it a Sheepcliffe.
Pointier than a sheepfoot, but parallel spine and not quite as pointy as a Wharncliffe.

StagFTpile.jpg~original

To me, the main difference is all about the tip. A Wharncliffe has a sharp, pointy, and narrow tip, which makes it ideal for finer detail when whittling. It also has enough blade size to allow for lots of wood takedown.

A sheepsfoot is great for taking down wood, but the tip is too broad for detail work.

Not sure I can see the difference between a Wharncliffe and an Ettrick - other than perhaps the beveling along the spine. I don't think I know enough yet to see the subtle differences.

good comment, Im also just learning to see the differences
what I notice is the ettrick blade spine has a portion near the tang that is parallel to the blade edge, that is, the curve of the ettrick spine from tip to tang, does not go all the way back to the tang, as it does in the wharncliffe. Also, the Ettrick handle is much longer than the blade itself.

I would be curious to see photos of the knives you have ordered, and/or are considering ordering. I enjoy pics :)

There are also examples in-between. GEC calls this a Wharncliffe, but I call it a Sheepcliffe.
Pointier than a sheepfoot, but parallel spine and not quite as pointy as a Wharncliffe.

StagFTpile.jpg~original

I agree completely with your sheepcliffe hybrid observation, and thanks for the beautiful picture.

fwiw, the original Wharncliffe was a tapered serpentine 3 bladed whittler with a split back spring, and the primary blade on the fat end. Here is GEC's interpretation, which I think is more of an ettrick blade, due to the parallel portion at the tang.

Ettrick is the pattern, not a blade type. You can have different blade shapes on an Ettrick frame, but generally they use wharncliffes. The Ettrick is a long slender swayback frame with a handle to blade ratio of about two to one.

However, I'd be delighted if Jack Black or Charlie would correct me if I'm wrong of course :)

Paul

I've seen it claimed that the Ettrick was one of the earliest patterns to have a Wharncliffe blade. It is an interesting and unusual looking knife certainly.

Ettrick is the pattern, not a blade type. You can have different blade shapes on an Ettrick frame, but generally they use wharncliffes. The Ettrick is a long slender swayback frame with a handle to blade ratio of about two to one.

However, I'd be delighted if Jack Black or Charlie would correct me if I'm wrong of course :)

Paul
Wharncliffe was also a knife patttern before it was applied to a blade shape.

Simmons Hardware 1930
xqcfgy.png

Back