Difference m390 and 204p para

Just wondering if anyone did cut tests or edge test on the two and saw a difference since they are pretty much the same steel just different company producing them

In Ankerson's famous blade testing thread, he rated the Para II in CTS 204P as a category 1 in perfomance and the M390 Military in category 2. I would guess there are no real differences and the heat treat (hardness) causes the slight differences in the blades and not the steel.

They are the same steel made by different manufacturers. M390 is Bohler, 204p is Carpenter.

To my understanding, Carpenter is using a better powder metallurgy process. They are using "third generation" which supposedly results in finer grain structure.

In Ankerson's famous blade testing thread, he rated the Para II in CTS 204P as a category 1 in perfomance and the M390 Military in category 2. I would guess there are no real differences and the heat treat (hardness) causes the slight differences in the blades and not the steel.

I am pretty sure the M390 listed in Cat2 is a Benchmade 710 with a lower HRC value than Spyderco has been taking its M390 to. The M390 Mule is probably a better guess at how Spyderco's M390 will perform.

Category 1

CPM-S90V (Military and Para 2) (60)
CTS-20CP (Para 2) (60)
M390 (Mule) (60.5)
CTS - 204P (Para 2)

Category 2

M390 (60)
CPM M4 (62.5)
CPM-S90V (59) (Manix 2 with 30 Degree Micro Bevel)
CPM-S60V
VANAX 75 (Kershaw Tilt)

funny i just picked up the 204p para 2 used in Ankerson's test, i also have a user m390 im going to put up against it and see how they go but i figured either is going to be a great long lasting steel

To my understanding, Carpenter is using a better powder metallurgy process. They are using "third generation" which supposedly results in finer grain structure.

It was my understanding Bohler was 3rd gen and Carpenter was 2nd gen. Could be wrong though, have been before...

It was my understanding Bohler was 3rd gen and Carpenter was 2nd gen. Could be wrong though, have been before...

That was my understanding as well. I really want to try out some CTS-XHP. I was focused on fixed blades when the orange came out, but i did grab a blue and I love it.

Carpenter is technically 2nd gen, but on their CTS steels claims a smaller particle size than B/U. They are too close to call, IMO.

And the likely difference is edge thickness related between the Milli and Para2. Even a few thousandths makes a difference.

204P and M390 are so close in performance its silly to think of them as different steels. I think 204P has a hair more Tungsten or something like that.

I've found that the 204P, M390 and 20CP Para 2s all function at about the same level. Personally, I prefer the 20CP steel - it seems to keep its edge a bit longer than the other two (completely unscientific testing methodology, mind you!). But you can't go wrong with any of the three.

TedP

Are you guys overthinking this and missing the obvious? The difference between them is that one of them is green and the other one is not. :D

It seemed to me like the 204P was a little harder to reprofile than the M390, but that is likely my mind playing tricks on me. The M390 para is still my go to dirty work knife and I haven't done enough cutting with the 204p to do a fair comparison.

Back