Differences between Infi and SR101 for small blades

rockspyder, I think that like with most steels, the advantage of INFI in toughness will not be noticed until you go extreme but it is definitely there. Since 99.9% of knife users would never go to the extreme unless they had no choice, that advantage is null. The edge holding is also something that is not so noticeable in either steel. I have heard of both steels being better than the other. Very close. Corrosion certainly favors INFI by a huge margin.

I think this post sums up what I've experienced and what I've read EXTREMELY well. Better than I could do.

Don't get me wrong. If I had more funds, I'd probably do everything INFI or 3V. But I don't. The thing is, Busse and the kin put out knife designs that are extremely well done and thought out, it seems, in their own right, regardless of the medium in which their designs are rendered. For example, in my mind, the Rodent 6 and TG, and any of the 'mandus, are pure genius, IMO. One should not turn up one's nose at the steel used in the recent releases, nor feel poor if the cost of the INFI is too dear to purchase said designs. Go SR-101 and do not look back. And when it comes to something like this week's release, there is nothing lost in pacing one's budget by getting the SR-101 version, just to experience the genius of the design.

I have said it before. Nothing beats SR101's performance for bang for the buck. Nothing. And I think that many of the swamp rat designs are actually better than many of the Busse designs. Take the M9 for example. In my opinion the M9 blows away most if not all of the mid size INFI offerings. Thank god Busse did not make it in INFI.

Yes and having it naked without out all the coating and not worrying about rust makes Infi much more desireable to me-I mean why is the SR 101 S.O.S $177 and the Satin INFI $347-Do you really think people would not have noticed the difference in 25 or so years of use? I mean really, it is time to end this senseless argument-If you like SR-101 great buy it and be happy-I will stick with Buying Satin Infi-But make no mistake their is a difference, is it worth the extra money? Only you can answer this-Nobody has ever criticized SR-101,IT is a Great Steel,The consumer is fortunate that Busse Made and offered some of their most "Iconic Blades" in this steel at a greatly reduced price! Why is the price reduced? Because of the Materials used to create the product-Period-Cheers and enjoy your great SR-101 Busse offerings, they will not be around much longer
Having used both for just a bit now, I must admit I'm ambivalent about INFI. I just can't say that I've seen a big advantage of it over SR-101, other than its ability to resist corrosion better. I don't dislike it. Just am not hard over for it. I guess I don't have the experience of bashing around with a big hunk of it, which might change my mind. But in a small knife like the INFImandu, SWATmandu, or the SWATsondu, the big advantage of INFI is just the ability to have it naked and not worry about corrosion. IMO. YMMV.

Last edited:
For small blades the differences are $130-$160. Agreed with users stating to get a knife in sr-101 to see if it fits your hand through multiple holds and different uses. If it does then hunt down the infi version.

FWIW, I have never worried about corrosion with bare SR-101… it never really progressed beyond surface rust in any case for me. It's easy enough to remove rust that when it appears I wouldn't even worry about and just clean it off, but basically just keeping it clean and dry is enough to prevent formation in most cases.

Yes and having it naked without out all the coating and not worrying about rust makes Infi much more desireable to me-I mean why is the SR 101 S.O.S $177 and the Satin INFI $347-Do you really think people would not have noticed the difference in 25 or so years of use? I mean really, it is time to end this senseless argument-If you like SR-101 great buy it and be happy-I will stick with Buying Satin Infi-But make no mistake their is a difference, is it worth the extra money? Only you can answer this-Nobody has ever criticized SR-101,IT is a Great Steel,The consumer is fortunate that Busse Made and offered some of their most "Iconic Blades" in this steel at a greatly reduced price! Why is the price reduced? Because of the Materials used to create the product-Period-Cheers and enjoy your great SR-101 Busse offerings, they will not be around much longer

True, I wish Busse would offer the larger swamp rat designs in INFI as well.

I feel an INFI Chopweiler (rodent solution, battle rat, camp tramp) thread coming on....

I have my first piece of SR101 on order but it's a blade that is bigger than any other knife I have to compare it to. I'm kinda hoping to see a BG SOB. I already have one in INFI but I would kinda like to have one just like it in the different steel to get a real side by side comparison of them both.

Back