Differences in WWII models?

I was wondering what the differences are in the WWII versions? I see they come in circa 16" and 18" in length. How's the wood handles? Price? Any info would be great. Thanks!

All the GH WW2's are 16.5", unless there's something new that hasn't hit the website yet. But HI has sold this style in 18" in the past.

Dan

Thanks for the info Lt., you've been great. Is 16.5" the overall length, or blade length?

Dan's probably at work, so I'll chime in. 16" is the overall length for a WWII. The weight forward design makes this knife feel longer and heavier than it is. Craig can probably get you a 18" as a special order, if you want one. Give him a call, he hasn't been around the forums much lately.

Patrick

PS
Prices are posted on the web site. Personally, I like the wood handles alot. The wood is quite beautiful and it is much easier to refinish than horn, should you feel the need to do some customization.

P.

16.5" is overall length (OAL). I don't know where the idea from the longer one came from. The 16.5" is the only official size I'm aware of. But it's also a commonly held notion that in combat the Gurkhas are allowed to carry the khukuri of their choosing, with the 16.5" being the khukuri of issue at that time. I suppose an 18" length would be good for somebody 6'6" or so, but the average Gurkha was 5'2" then, so maybe it's really a western idea. (Now they're up to 5'3".)

Glad to serve....Dan

Thanks again for the great info. I wondered if 16.5" was the OAL! I had a Cold Steel LTC kukri and enjoyed using it. I thought it was a big blade, and I was trying to imagine one 4.5" bigger! I know some khukuris are much bigger, but I thought that the "standard" kind of khukuri couldn't be TOO big!

That is an interesting note on the size of the Ghurkas. I didn't realize until a year or so ago that the handles on Japanese katanas are quite small, too small for "western" hands. It has something to do, I suppose, with the average height of a Samurai being 5' 2" as well!

I'm not sure yet why I like the WWII model. It just looks right. I have been looking at pics of old khukuris, and I think I like them better than what is "standard" now. I love the rounded spines and the pointier tips.

In the future I'd like to get a large field blade, and I'm wondering is a khikuri woudld serve my needs. I'm not sure if a khukuri, a bowie type blade, or what I call a "bent bowie" (the CS Ghurka kukri or the Brigade Quartermasters kukri) would serve me best. I also just like the looks of khukuris, so I would love to have some just to collect.

One day I'll have a "real" khukuri, and then I'll really get to evaluate it and see if a khukuri fits my needs. Till then, I'll be asking questions, reading posts, saving pics and dreaming!

Yeah - what Patrick says. The rosewood 16.5" WW2 is your best shot at one best all around khukuri. While there are some others I also like, this one's the ticket. And it's always the most popular among forumites. It balances well is a good worker, even if you're 5'2".

Dan

Back